Follow these steps to let the internet know you've moved your store.
After relocating, updating your store's address on Google and Yelp is essential.
Having inaccurate addresses or phone numbers listed on broadly consulted websites can make your business look unprofessional and unsuccessful. If you're planning to move and want your new address reflected on Google and Yelp, this guide is for you.
Google makes it super simple to change the address of your business yourself.
- Sign in to Google My Business.
- Select your current business location and click Manage Location.
- Click the Info button at the top of the page.
- Click the edit button; it looks like a small pencil. Here you can update your business address as well as your business hours, phone number and email contact information.
- Click Apply. Google will attempt to pinpoint your business's new address automatically, but if the address cannot be located, you can drag the marker on the map to your new business site.
- Click OK.
- Note: Don't worry if the changes aren't reflected instantly. Google has an internal verification process for business changes, so it may take a few days for your change to go live.
Changing your business's address on Yelp is trickier than it is on Google. Here's the process.
- Go to Yelp and select your business.
- Click Edit.
- Click Yes to answer if you're the business owner.
- Now, check the box that reads, Business Closed or Moved.
- Look for the Additional Context field. Yelp has strict internal standards for what constitutes substantial business changes. Anything that, "dramatically changes the nature and customer experience of [a] business" is considered a substantial change by Yelp. So, you must explain under Additional Context why your business move is happening and how it will or won't change the customer experience.
- If Yelp determines that your move will not impact customer experience in a significant way, they will approve your change of address. If Yelp considers the move to be a "substantial business change," you will be required to create a new business listing, and a banner will be placed on your original business page to explain the move.
- Click Submit.
Learn more about improving your online reviews now. [See Related Story: 5 Tips to Increase Your Positive Online Reviews]
Changing your address online takes a little time and effort, but it's well worth the trouble. Start the process as early as you can, and alert your existing customers to your upcoming move before it happens.