Domains are much more than just names typed into a web browser. Your domain name is how the world will think of you and your business, ...
Domains are much more than just names typed into a web browser. Your domain name is how the world will think of you and your business, and acquiring a domain name is an important first step in building a successful online business. Below are the most popular reasons why individuals and businesses own domain names.
Improve Your Marketing and Visibility
The right domain name allows customers an easy way to remember and find your business. It's your location on the web. It's also your e-mail address. Your business may already have a name and a customer base. If so, choosing your business name as a domain name may seem the most obvious way to proceed. On the other hand, if your business name says little about your business, you may want to reconsider.
Having your own domain name makes your business look professional. If you publish your site through an ISP or free web hosting, your URL will be something like: http://www.yourisp.com/-yourbusiness. This address is generic and does not inspire consumer confidence as much as http://www.yourcompany.com would. Many people still don’t trust e-commerce, so you’ll want to do what you can to prove that your small business is credible. After all, if you’re not willing to spend the money to register a domain name, why would consumers think you'd put any effort into your goods and services?
Protect Your Brand
Purchase the domain name that best represents your business name. Domains are valuable online real estate. Secure the right name and keep it out of the hands of your competitors. You may also find many attractive domains for your business. Securing more than one helps protect your brand and increase your reach. You can easily direct as many domains as you want to a single website.
As an Investment
Similar to real estate, domain names are investments. Domain values increase daily. You can make your domain name more valuable by building and marketing your web site.
Choose a premium domain name.Premium domains have stronger branding potential, are easier to remember, and attract more traffic than most domains available through standard domain registration.
BuyDomains brokers thousands of premium domain names. You are more likely to find the best name for your website in the Premium Domains collection. All are either .com, .net, ,org, .biz or .info. These domains are also often referred to as: aftermarket domains, secondary market domains, high-value domains, great domains, or top domains. These domains have all been previously registered, often because they are popul
Choose a credible web hosting service.If you're not entirely sure how to ascertain your needs, go through this list of criteria for selecting a web site hosting service for your new business.
The appearance of your site. Consider how important the appearance of your storefront is to the success of your business.
Dependability and backup. Servers go down and sites crash. Your web site hosting service has to provide some guarantee of reliability.
Bandwidth. Decide whether speed is an important factor.
Stastistics. As you add products and marketing strategies, you'll want to examine traffic and sales data.
Price. In web hosting, as in all areas of commerce, you get what you pay for.
Management and maintenance. Although the server that stores your site and your files is in a remote location, it's a physical piece of equipment that requires maintenance. Networks and databases are complex systems that have to be updated and managed effectively.
Security. You can never be too paranoid about the security of your customers' information, particularly credit card data.
Support. Does the web site hosting include a 24/7 phone line with no waiting?
Conduct keyword research.Conducting keyword research will allow you to discern topics that people are searching for that are related to your business.
With either Wordtracker’s free keyword suggestion tool or their paid professional tool, you can research the best keywords to drive more traffic to your site. Wordtracker compiles a database of terms that people search for. You enter some keywords, and Wordtracker tells you how often people search for them, and also how many competing sites use those keywords. Wordtracker helps you find all keyword combinations that bear any relation to your business, service or product - many of which you might never have considered.
Stay on top of domain name renewals.Don't lose your domain name because you didn't renew ownership of it.
- Relevance. Make sure there is a clear connection between your domain name and your website. Domains that are too generic make this difficult. For example: PetsToys.com is better than PetsWeb.net.
- Easy to Remember. Find domain names that are catchy, short, and easy to spell and say. Pronounce the domain three times aloud. Does it sound natural? Imagine yourself telling a potential customer about your website. Is it easy to convey and remember?
- Evaluate Keyword Searches. If your domain name is an exact match of a search keyword, your website will likely appear near the top of those results. This can help your site get valuable traffic. Consider the most popular and relevant keyword searches for your business and see if they are available as domain names. You can try this by going to any search engine such as yahoo.com, google.com, or msn.com.
- Pay Attention to the Extension. .com is the most popular. Others that are well-known and can deliver value are .net, .org, .biz, and .info. You must consider your competition and whether you want to buy all the extensions for your domain name. If you sell products to an international market, consider country-code domains. In this case, you might secure the .com, the .net, and the country-code, as appropriate (e.g., .co.uk).
- Find Similar Domains. You may find a number of attractive domains for your business. You should consider protecting your brand and increasing your reach by securing multiple names. There could be multiple opportunities to get search engine traffic. You can easily forward one URL to another domain, which means that you can create one website that many domains point to.