Considering which ecommerce platform is best for your business? Here's an overview of the top five platforms, including the pros and cons of each.
With the revolution of mobile phones, more people are conducting product searches on mobile devices than on desktops or other mediums. That's why if you ignore the importance of the mobile-first approach, it will badly affect your sales and eventually damage your customer base.
Social media has also gained popularity as an important tool to attract online shoppers. Today, more businesses are integrated with social media platforms.
Ecommerce has become the top trend in the industry. It is simple, modern and appropriate for customers who spend time on the internet seeking out products and services to help with their needs.
Editor's Note: Considering an ecommerce website design service? We can help you choose the one that’s right for you. Use the questionnaire below to have our sister site, BuyerZone, provide you with information from a variety of vendors for free:
- Big Commerce
Magento is one of the most popular ecommerce solutions. It claims to have one-fourth of the market share. Big brands, such as Huawei, Coca-Cola and Burger King use Magento for their online stores. Over the years, Magento has maintained great scalability and is known as a reliable source.
- Magento is a good platform for large stores with vast range of products
- It's easy to use and provides a good user experience
- The platform is open to all kinds of customization
- There are more than 9,000 plug-ins
- It offers several free extensions
- Magento offers a customer-support module and 24/7 support system
- It is not recommended for beginners as the open source nature of platform makes it complex for small businesses and startups
Magento offers a basic community version free of charge. However, the advanced version comes with a price that starts at $20,000 per year.
Volusion has been around since 1999. It is a fully cloud-based ecommerce platform that allows you to operate an online store seamlessly. Companies like 3M, Intel and Slickwraps use Volusion to manage their large base of retailers. Moreover, it is trusted by more than 40,000 businesses all over the world.
- Its features are built into a single dashboard
- It offers a live and abandoned carts feature
- Email notifications of abandoned carts can be sent to customers
- Volusion has Android and iOS apps
- You can process phone orders directly from dashboard
- It has strong mobile capability
- Volusion has limited design features
- There are a number of fees, such as a transaction fee, credit card fee, add-on fee
- It has a limited app store for third-party apps and extensions
Volusion prices start from $15 per month to $135/mo. The Mini package offers 100 products, 1GB bandwidth, online support and secure checkout for $15 per month. The Plus package charges $35 per month and has the capacity to manage 1,000 products, a bandwidth of 3GB, online and phone support, secure checkout, ratings, reviews, import/export, and abandoned cart reports. The Pro package fee is $75/month. Features include 10,000 products, 10GB of bandwidth, priority support, secure checkout and eight other features. The Premium package is $175 and gives you unlimited products with 35GB of bandwidth and dedicated account management.
Shopify is another prominent ecommerce platform. The prime focus of Shopify is mobile shopping and social commerce. It has a large client base with over 325,000 active online shops.
- It has several essential marketing tools
- It's affordable
- Shopify offers more than 100 visually appealing store templates
- Shopify handles website hosting and security
- It offers live chat customer support
- You can connect your online store with your social media accounts
- It comes with built-in mobile apps
- Users who don't opt for Shopify Payments are charged an additional transaction fee on every sale
- Additional functionality extensions cost extra
- Shopify's customization is difficult and expensive
Shopify has packages that cost between $29 and $299 per month, making it a great option for businesses just beginning to sell their products or services online.
With advanced functionality and a user-friendly interface, BigCommerce caters to the needs of over 55,000 online stores. Giants, such as Toyota and Gibson, rely on this platform.
- BigCommerce is simple to use for nontechnical and less tech-savvy people
- It can be integrated with Google shopping, Facebook and other popular sites
- The platform provides video tutorials, visual aids and a setup wizard
- 24/7 customer support
- Smooth mobile experience
- No extra transaction fees
- It offers limited number of free themes
BigCommerce's packages cost between $29 and $199 per month, and it comes without the incremental transaction fees.
YoKart is relatively new in the industry, but it is an excellent option for startups. It has great features, one especially helpful feature is that it's built to set up multi-vendor (eBay, Etsy, etc.) stores.
- YoKart offers hassle-free setup and management
- The platform is PayPal adaptive ( as well as adapting to other major payment gateways)
- Completely customizable as required
- Ready for mobile users
- It offers 12 months of tech support free of charge
- You can easily customize the customer portal
- Third-party extensions are not available
- There is a lack of social commerce capability
YoKart lets you launch a multi-vendor ecommerce store for only $250. The GoQuick package costs $999, while the GoCustom Lite package costs $2,999, and the GoCustom plan costs $5,999.
You can start with GoQuick plan by paying $250 initially and the rest three months later. This package offers default design. In GoCustom Lite, you get three custom designed pages. Fully custom design is included with the GoCustom plan.
As we all know, the growing dominance of social commerce shows no signs of slowing anytime soon. Ecommerce platforms increase the outreach of businesses. The five ecommerce platforms above have helped big and small companies alike reach new customers and increase their sales.
Nevertheless, when deciding which ecommerce solution is right for your business, make sure it will help you achieve your goals and that it aligns with the needs of your business.