Discover why creating a professional and data-rich infographic is so important to your business and brand.Download Infographic
When it comes to creating content online, you want to make sure your audience is getting real value out of it. After all, if the end user isn't happy, what's the point of creating content for them in the first place?
This is especially true in the world of business and data. It's not the sexiest topic for discussion, but there are definitely some better options that come to mind when it comes to content delivery.
Infographics, for example, are simply one of the greatest ways to deliver information and important data online, that might not traditionally be shared or even read by your audience.
After all, who really has time to scan through thousands of words of text, when they can accomplish the same exact results through a fancy looking infographic.
A great example of this can be seen here. The concept of Halloween annual spending might not seem too exciting, but once you throw a few visuals into the mix and make a nice looking infographic, then it instantly becomes interesting and potentially shared by thousands.
However, don't get too ahead of yourself. As amazing as infographics are, creating one that's professional looking and provides real value isn't as easy as you might think. The preparation and actual design process that goes into creating an infographic are quite intense. To help with this process, you should have answers to the following questions and key focuses of your infographic.
- Purpose - Why are you creating an infographic and how is it going to help your site, brand or business?
- Audience - Who is your target audience and how are you going to get your infographic in front of them?
- Data - What type of data are you going to include within your infographic and is the data recent and accurate?
- Design - How will all of your data come together in visual form so it's easy to read, while also branding your business?
Each of these questions is extremely important to the overall success of your infographic. If just one of these elements is out of place or proves to represent your brand in the wrong way, the release of your infographic may result in more harm than good for your brand.
To help with this process, let's take a look at this "How a Bad Infographic Can Ruin Your Business" infographic that was created and released from the team over at InfographicDesignTeam.com.
As you may already be experiencing from this article here, you are probably tired of reading all of this text and would much rather move along to the visually appealing infographic below. This in itself is a perfect example of why and how infographics work so well. Even more so, check out the infographic in video form below as well!
For those of you who do enjoy reading, I've also highlighted some of my favorite key points from the infographic below.
- Some of the most common mistakes brands make when creating infographics are stealing content and ideas from other sites/infographic, using the wrong colors, creating infographics just for promotional use and presenting way too much data within a small space.
- One of the best reasons to create an infographic is because of the social sharing and potential backlinks to you can get from other sites and viewers. If you want to have success with your infographic, you will need to make sure it's easy to share (through social sharing buttons on your site) and also providing your audience with an embed code so they can share the image on their own sites.
- When it comes to data sources for your infographic, try to make sure all of your stats are updated and correct. Stay away from using Wikipedia as your only data source and also be sure to cite all referenced data at the bottom of your infographic.
- When it comes to potential harm a bad infographic can cause to your brand, there are many. Everything from making your brand look silly (if your data is wrong) to looking unprofessional (if your design is horrible), and if your infographic displays the wrong message to your audience it could even result in lost followers, visitors and customers.
No matter what type of infographics you are attempting to create for your site, brand or business, be sure to run through the list above and make sure you aren't making any of these important infographic mistakes.Download Infographic