Well we don't want to give it full credit, but marketing has a huge role in getting customers through your door this holiday season.
While most people are enjoying the hustle and bustle of the busiest shopping season of the year, local retailers are pulling out all the stops to wrap up their most important quarter. How did this time of year get so busy, anyway?
Well we don't want to give it full credit, but marketing has a huge role in getting customers through your door.
A remarkable store nuzzled in the perfect location and filled with plenty of unique items just isn't enough to gain extra foot traffic these days, but there just isn't room on your to-do list for one more thing? That is why we decided to help with these social media marketing tips for the holidays.
Maintain an active social presence
Don't miss a single chance to gain a visit by your fans and followers. Be sure to post daily updates on new products, holiday specials, fan-only savings, extended hours and even your address. Show your fans that you are the destination for all of their holiday shopping.
By posting a mixture of products and fun and engaging content, you are sure to grab their attention until the big day. Refer to the 70/20/10 Rule for a better understanding on the type of content to post in order to provide the highest value to your audience.
Schedule your posts and tweets
Do we really need to tell you again? You're too busy to dedicate each day to marketing AND running your store this month. By scheduling your social media posts, you can batch a week worth of tasks in one day. Be sure to schedule 1-3 posts for each day until the end of the year.
- First, schedule messaging around Christmas and/or Chanukah, New Year's Eve/Day and the last few shopping weekends, then add the days in between.
- Create urgency during the last week before Christmas while displaying your business as the perfect last-minute gift shop.
- Check your social sites occasionally for comments, questions and feedback.
Run a fan-only promotion
An easy and effective way to capture those last-minute shoppers is to make them feel just as special as the holiday season. Reward your fans for staying in touch with your store online by giving them a fan-only discount. If they don't like your Facebook page or follow you on Twitter, they won't have access to your posts and tweets, therefore missing out on the promotion.
- Something as simple as, "Say mistletoe at checkout to receive 30% off of one single item," is enough to provoke extra store visits.
Tip: Be sure to track redemptions in your POS system so you can compare to other promotions and find out what works best for the upcoming holidays.
Get in the holiday spirit
Consumers are trained to be in the holiday spirit the day after Thanksgiving, and so should your social media outlets. If you haven't already, consider how to get festive before the season comes to an end.
- Begin online by swapping out your Facebook cover photo and Twitter header to something more festive.
- Post a photo of your decorated store, Christmas lights in your community, window displays or you can create a holiday-themed collage to add as a cover photo and/or header.
- Consider purchasing a themed email header from an email marketing service for your holiday marketing blasts.
- If you have some design skills, you can even decorate your store logo with some glitter, holiday colors, ornaments or even a Santa hat and upload to your social sites.
- If your business is partaking in a charitable holiday initiative such as Toys for Tots, your local food bank, the Salvation Army or something similar, post updates and photos to your social community.
Although the holiday season can be hectic for local retailers, regular day-to-day operations are not enough to stand out in a crowded consumer-driven holiday season. However, you can ensure that your business shines as bright as the Rockefeller tree topper by implementing a combination of these holiday social media tactics.
Photo credit: parasolcreations.net
Christian Kratsas is the Social Media Manager for SnapRetail. SnapRetail provides a web-based solution that makes it easy for local retailers to engage with customers through email, Facebook and Twitter. Unique product features such as an interactive planning calendar, monthly promotion kits and hundreds of pre-written and professionally designed templates and social media posts make SnapRetail the choice for thousands of retailers looking for a one-stop-shop for their marketing needs. Learn more at www.snapretail.com.