Moving a business is stressful and potentially a logistical minefield. Expect for it to take longer and cost more than what you had ...
Moving a business is stressful and potentially a logistical minefield. Expect for it to take longer and cost more than what you had budgeted. And always have back-up plans for various contingencies.
Here are three important things to know:
- Before you move a home-based business to an office address, consider the options of hiring a professional organizer to de-clutter your office; move to a bigger room in your house; outsource some projects.
- Do the math and compute the overhead expenses, knowing that basic, monthly costs will probably increase with your move.
- Location, location, location is still the mantra for real estate, but businesses must also consider parking, visibility and the location of clients and vendors.
If you can afford it, hire a full-service business moverThese moving companies have experience moving office equipment, furniture, storing assets and managing records.
Get free moving quotes onlineGo online to get free quotes from licensed movers in your area who meet insurance requirements and are able to serve your moving route.
Set your moving time lineDiscover what you should be doing, three months, two months and one month ahead.
Save money by doing your own packingIf you're on a tight budget, consider packing the office yourself and loading the moving van. A van usually stays at your location five days on either end.
Use the Web to help you track logistics of your moveA move has hundreds of details to consider. Ensure that your move is completed on time and on budget with these online tools.
Going overseas?Be prepared by reading targeted country guides for businesses
- Ask moving company references the right questions, including: Did they show up on time, meet deadlines, give on-site support, meet expectations and would you use them again?
- Form a team to help with the move, assigning employees with specialized knowledge specific tasks with firm deadlines.
- Back time your move. Many events depends on others (the furniture can't be moved until the new carpet is installed). Select vendors for phone and computers, for example, then choose space and sign a lease. Once you have a firm move-indate, it's a narrow window of time for vendors to do their work.