When you need to move something for your business, you may find that renting a moving truck is the most cost effective way to complete ...
When you need to move something for your business, you may find that renting a moving truck is the most cost effective way to complete the job. Obviously, when you rent a moving truck, you or your employees will have to do all the packing, lifting, loading and unloading, but a moving truck rental can save you thousands of dollars compared to hiring a professional moving company.
Rental moving trucks are rented out in several different ways. So before you try to determine the pricing and costs of moving truck rental, ask yourself these questions to figure out exactly what you need:
1. Is my move local or long distance?
2. Am I able to return the moving van rental to the location that it was originally rented from?
3. Do I just need a moving truck rental for a quick move in town?
Get one-way long-distance moving truck rentalsIn a one-way truck rental, you will pick up the moving truck at one location and return it at another. One-way truck rentals are the most convenient way to rent a truck, but they are also the most expensive. For example, a one-way truck rental on a weekday in October from New York City to Boston, including tax and fees, costs around $400 for a 12- to 16-foot truck and $500 for a 22- to 26-foot truck.
Get a round-trip moving truck rentalYou can save a good deal of money by returning the moving truck to the same location that you picked it up. This so-called round-trip rental is ideal for regional moves. The cost varies by city and truck, but as an example, a round-trip moving truck rental in Providence, Rhode Island, will cost you about $70 to $80 per day with unlimited mileage.
Rent moving trucks for one dayIf you are only moving a few miles, you might find a one-day rental is the best deal. Rates vary, depending on the city and moving truck rental company. But for example, in San Francisco it will cost you about $20 to $40 per day to rent the truck. The catch is that you have to pay a per mile fee, which can be as high as $1 per mile.
- If you can plan your move, schedule it for the winter. Fewer people rent moving trucks this time of year, so the costs will be lower. Also, rentals are sometimes less expensive on weekdays.
- The person renting the moving truck will have to show a valid driver's licence and leave a deposit.
- Many moving truck rental companies offer AAA discounts.