Thanks to the latest advances in management software, new online tools allow small businesses to easily create their own employee app.
If there's one thing a small business owner knows, it's that they're expected to be on top of everything, all the time. Everything. All. The. Time. From solving problems to effective internal communication and boosting engagement, to offering a positive customer experience, creating work schedules and more. I mean, the list never stops!
However, when it comes to employee management, there is a solution that can help you streamline each process so you can focus on what matters to you: achieving the goals of your company.
Employee behavior is evolving, and it's starting to follow the path we've seen with consumer behavior. Consumers have become so dependent on mobile devices. They are the dashboard to everything in our daily lives. And that's now transferring over to the employee experience. Employee management software apps help keep everyone on the same page, and all processes perfectly streamlined so you can run your business and manage your team efficiently and seamlessly.
Thanks to the latest advances in management software, there are plenty of online tools that allow small businesses to easily create their employee app. Exactly. An employee app that is customized for your own business.
The benefits of an employee app stretch across the organization. An app
- Helps streamline communication
- Increases employee engagement
- Establishes a better onboarding process
- Ensures employee safety with streamlined workflows
- Decreases employee turnover
Let's cover more of these benefits in depth.
Here's what we know about communication at the workplace:
- 60% of companies lack a long-term strategy for internal communications.
- 74% of employees feel like they're missing out on company news.
- 72% of employees don't have a full understanding of company strategy.
- Productivity goes by 20-25% in organizations with connected employees.
- Companies with effective communication are five times more likely to beat the competition.
Employee apps are specifically built to enable seamless communication between staff, whether they're behind a desk or on the go. Managers can't always be in 50 places at once. That's why employee management apps allow you to hold conversations and share ideas messages, videos, and documents all in one place without skipping a beat.
Employees are also busy. They have jobs to get done and they're sometimes inundated with work messages that often prove distracting from actually doing their jobs. Research is beginning to show to collaborative tools such as Slack, can be antiproductivity tools because of the constant interruptions and the way need-to-know information gets completely lost in the shuffle of minutia. For example, "What's for lunch today?" "How was your weekend?"
An employee app enables companies to have conversations with each individual where it's personalized. It's like you're having a one-on-one conversation and the employee can provide instant feedback. It can be by liking a post, making a comment, or offering his or her opinion in a real-time pulse survey.
It builds a closer, more vibrant, deeper connection.
Increased employee engagement
When you have staff that is committed to the company and to the work they do, you have engaged employees. Employees who don't just show up to earn a salary but genuinely care and are invested in what they do and how the company does.
With good employee engagement, you have increased employee productivity, higher customer satisfaction, low turnover and enhanced company culture.
From the first day, you should aim to establish employee engagement, and with an employee management app, that's attainable and not a faraway dream. Regularly, you can send surveys to gain feedback to better understand the concerns and satisfaction of your employees, offer a suggestion box so your team can dish out their thoughts and ideas, send instant company updates like a new product launch or welcoming a new employee, allow for social alerts to recognize the employee of the month or other achievements, and so much more.
An improved onboarding process
From the second a new hire sets foot in the office, you must establish a smooth and efficient onboarding process. Instead of them sifting through endless binders of training material and filling out piles of paperwork, shift everything to the employee app to streamline the entire process.
With an employee app, each new hire has their process on the app with easy access to relevant documents. Most employee management apps allow you to create quizzes to gauge if all content was understood. All of the above will help streamline the onboarding process as they become a part of your company. Truth be told, training for new employees can be overwhelming at times. This is just another reason to make it fun and engaging. You'll notice in no time that your new employees will be taking on the position they were hired for with extra confidence and fluency.
Streamlined workflows that ensure employee safety
Ensure employee safety with daily checklists and workflows via your employee app. Now your team can work more efficiently as the workflow of your company is streamlined. Via the app, you can hold virtual meetings, share tasks, send reports and forms while on the go, ask for feedback, send safety updates or hazard reports, and so much more.
In fact, an employee app is a practical method of supporting safety-related activities and can help boost your company's safety culture. With your employee app, you can do the following:
- Share your company's safety vision
- Highlight the issues that are important to management
- Important work contacts are now easy to locate
- Send site or team-specific safety messages
- Send awareness training material
- Encourage employees to report safety issues and hazards
An employee app makes it that much easier to encourage and maintain employee safety and ensures a safety culture that works across the board.
Decreased employee turnover
Employee turnover can seriously cost your company as much as twice the employee's salary in your efforts to find and hire a replacement. That's money and time you just can't afford to lose.
So how can you decrease employee turnover with an employee management app?
- Offer great employee incentives. Don't just focus on pay. Instead, get creative because employees need options to remain happy and engaged, such as working from home, bringing your pet to work, lunch on the boss, etc.
- Celebrate employee success. Send an update through a group chat to congratulate an employee on a job well done or share the employee of the month and allow for social activity with likes and comments to boost engagement.
- Have career paths. Offer a challenging and motivating career path, conduct annual and midyear reviews, and encourage feedback and suggestions all year round. Empower your employees to be on top of their work and offer skill development and training.
- Collect feedback. Use the employee app to gain feedback regularly, whether through surveys or a suggestion box. Employees want to be heard, so having the option to do so when is convenient for them is key. Plus, make sure you act on their suggestions and feedback so that they know they're being taken seriously.
- Host cultural events. Celebrate your workforce diversity by dedicating a day each month to have a quick coffee party and learn about other cultures and traditions directly from them. Added bonus: Let them share content in different languages! Having multilingual content on your website will propel your SEO through the roof.
According to a study around employee communication and engagement, the stats reflect the disturbing disconnect between how companies believe they're connecting with workers and what is happening. Among the findings:
- 85% of employees said they lose at least one to two hours of productivity a week searching for information.
- 80% of employees said they feel stressed because of ineffective company communication.
- 78% of employees said communication should be a higher priority for their company.
- 52% of employees have witnessed poor financial outcomes because of ineffective communication, including lost sales and damaged company reputation.
- 36%of employees said they don't know where to find the information they need to do their work.
- 36% of employees said they have been in an unsafe situation because of poor communication.
- 63%of employees are so frustrated by the way their company communicates with them that they're ready to quit.
There are many more reasons why an employee management app for small businesses is a must for 2020, but the list could run on for pages. The takeaways are all the positive benefits this addition will bring for your company and your employees.
Remember, not long ago, employee management work was recorded on paper for the most part. Nowadays, you can get any employee app, customize it to your needs and bring that workload down for good.
Advances in mobile technology will continue to make this tool more and more customized for each business and I'm pretty confident that soon enough every business will be using employee management apps.
With today's accessibility to smartphones, there is no telling how far we can go. One thing is for sure, it will be really easy to find the employee app that works best for you and your employees.