Create powerful content that results in higher traffic, engagements and conversions.
There are always changes taking place in the digital marketing landscape. Businesses need to stay on top of the latest trends and developments in technology platforms for the best outcomes.
In 2020, the impact of artificial intelligence, big data and analytics, and other platforms will impact content creation. We already see increased personalization and automation in content marketing.
Also, more people than ever before have access to the internet and use mobile phones. Such developments affect how marketers create content and distribute it. Social media platforms and search engines also implement changes to their algorithms that you need to follow.
Content needs to reflect such advances to serve people who consume it. Writing great content will remain at the heart of digital marketing, and it's important to what makes good content today.
Here are five important ways a business can create great content to get results.
Create researched-backed topics
A study shows that 90.88% of a billion web pages don't get organic search traffic from Google. Most online content is not visible, which means companies aren't creating engagements or getting conversions.
One of the reasons so many pages don't get traffic is because businesses are not creating relevant content. It's essential to create information that people are actively seeking. You can do this with research and by incorporating keywords that match what people use when seeking specific information.
Doing content research lets you create information that's timely, relevant and search-friendly. You risk wasting a great deal of time and effort if you create content that's irrelevant to your audience.
Creating content should start with research. Today, there are new and in-depth tools powered by AI to give you invaluable insights. Big data and analytics enable content research tools to analyze millions of content sources to spot trends and critical patterns.
Use tools for content creation and content research to generate topic ideas. Such platforms can help you develop topic ideas by giving you helpful information like:
- Historical trends in content for a specific topic
- The best formats to use when creating content, such as infographics, lists, how-tos, videos, and other formats
- Related keywords that you can use to create more content
- What the top platforms are for your content and the best formats for each platform
- The average engagements for a post
- The best sites and publications for your content
- Ideas for evergreen content that builds engagement over time
With information like this at your fingertips, you'll create more impactful content with certainty.
Use free tools like Google Trends that let you know what topics are trending at the moment. Google Alerts is another free tool that sends emails informing you when content is published based on your choice of keywords.
With the help of content curation and research tools, you have data to guide your content creation. You may find that creating videos work best on Facebook or that you should create long-form content to get the most visibility. You'll make timely and relevant posts that will boost traffic and conversions.
Doing research also gives you benchmarks against which you can compare your content's impact. You can set up KPIs and create proxies to understand whether your content is doing well. Research enables you to measure things like the number of shares, likes and comments generated. Content research in 2020 is more insightful than ever before. Use free and premium tools available to inform how to make your content and where to distribute it.
Use video content
It's well known that video content is highly engaging. Video content can make people stay on a site 2.6 times longer, and it also plays a crucial role in product purchases.
In 2019, it was found that there were 4 billion unique mobile phone users, and 48% of all web page views come from mobile devices. Video content is easy to consume on mobile screens compared to text posts. It's highly accessible and engaging, although challenging to create compared to articles and images.
However, you need to consider creating more video content in the future as people seek visual content for information. Creating videos allows you to reach more people on different platforms, and can bring more attention to your brand.
People respond to personalized content. AI can enable your business to create exceptional personalization in customer interactions. AI today makes it possible to send personalized emails that are triggered by user behavior. Some of these behavioral triggers can be when you get a subscriber to your blog, when they choose to upgrade to another package, or any other action.
We see personalization in content when we use video streaming services. Streaming platforms often ask you to choose specific topics and interests. You then get emails and content recommendations based on these choices. AI enables this type of personalization.
You can also use email marketing services that allow you to segment your email list to a high degree. Segmenting your email list and using the right tools will help you send personalized content that users will appreciate.
AI applications can study user behavior and send reports. You can launch emails automatically to users who have abandoned carts or have not visited your site in a while. If you have a membership site, then you can send your subscribers a weekly report of their accomplishments and activities.
AI and predictive analytics allow you to study customer behavior, get insights and create emails built on such data. You'll have information on when is the best time to send an email. You can also recommend products based on browsing history or suggest products related to a user's previous purchase.
AI makes it possible to personalize virtually every interaction with your business online. Use it to create subject lines that address people by their first name to generate a unique landing page for different user groups. Your aim is to build a relationship and make your brand more real to people, and AI-backed personalization can make that happen.
Make your content readable
The usage of mobile internet is increasing every year. People often search for information and visit websites on their phones. This means that optimizing your site for mobile screens is a must. Google has also implemented a mobile-first policy where it indexes mobile versions of a site first and then the desktop site.
It's clear that mobile content matters, and you need to write for mobile users who form a significant part of your audience. Here are some basic guidelines that ensure that your content is mobile-friendly for 2020:
- Write in small paragraphs as smaller paragraphs are easy to read and scan.
- Organize content into headings and subheadings. Doing so makes your content easy to read and it's also SEO-friendly.
- Use conversational language. Write as if you're talking to a person in a direct and friendly manner. Your content will be easy to understand, plus it reflects the natural language that people use when searching for content.
- Use keywords and long-tail keywords in your content to make your posts that people are looking for.
It's important to use website platforms that are mobile-responsive. Boosting the performance and speed of your site on mobile and desktops also affect SEO and engagements. Making your mobile site easy to use and readable will help you get better search rankings. You'll also create more conversions.
Write for voice search
People use voice search as a convenient way to search for information. They use voice search to navigate to places and to find answers to simple questions.
Voice assistants are now common in the form of devices like Amazon's Echo and Google Home devices. Search engines will prioritize websites with content that answers voice search queries. As the usage of voice search grows, your business needs to create content that appears for voice search queries. Here are a few helpful ways your content can be optimized for spoken queries.
- Add the speakable tag: Google has introduced the speakable tag, which can be found in schema.org. The speakable tag enables you to organize content so that search engines recognize that a piece of content is good for a voice query. However, the speakable tag can only be used by news publications. It's possible that its application in the future, which is why it's good to be aware of it.
- Use long-tail keywords: When people make a voice query, they are more likely to use long-tail keywords, which is more natural. Create content containing long-tail keywords so that it's more likely to appear for voice queries.
- Make use of phrases: Optimizing your content so that it reflects how people naturally speak. This means that your content should contain phrases people use in daily life.
- Add specific content: When people make spoken queries, they often look for specific information. Ensure that your website has clear information such as its address, timings and other details.
- Answer questions: People will search for information by asking questions. They'll expect complete answers to their queries. You can create content that answers an issue directly and completely. Make these answers concise and informative. It is suggested that you keep answers to under 30 words. You can also create an in-depth FAQs page. This will make it easier for search engines to pull up answers from your site, creating engagements.
Grow with great content in 2020
Content needs to evolve as technologies, search engines and people's behavior change. You can transform the way you write content by using research and curation tools available today.
AI, big data and analytics can give you insights that will help you understand your audience. With information, you can make better decisions that shape your website, email communication and more by looking at how people consume content. Focus on producing content that reflects the changes happening today to make your digital marketing successful.