Mobile tools come and go. Learn which apps are essential to your productivity and the operations of your business.
Rapid advances in mobile technologies have revolutionized the workplace, transforming fixed offices into flexible ones. Where productivity was once confined to your cubicle or secluded office, it now reigns free regardless of location. Many of your daily tasks can be accomplished whether at the office, in the car, or at the airport. But while these apps are great, the search to find effective solutions is often monotonous and time consuming (two things that go against productivity). Consider this your handy guide to mobile productivity in the business world.
How to Sort Through the Chaos of the App Store
When searching for that perfect app to increase productivity and ease your workload, don’t get bogged down sorting through thousands of useless, poor-performing apps. Here are a few tips to guide your search process:
- Sort by Category. Learning how to sort by category is your first step. Believe it or not, both the Play Store and App Store have a specific category titled ‘Productivity.’ That’s where you will want to start.
- Sort by Rating. Next, it can be helpful to search by rating. This will allow you to see which apps live up to their billing and which are a waste of time.
- Top Charts. While you may not have the same tastes or interests as the rest of the world, it can be useful to take an occasional glance at the top charts. Here you will find the most popular, and sometimes useful, apps in the store.
Effective Mobile Apps Business Professionals Need
Between Google Apps and Microsoft’s Office Mobile and a range of other tools like online meeting rooms and videoconferencing software, professionals have options when it comes to mobile productivity tools that promise to simplify business processes and streamline work flows. With the rise of competition in this industry, choosing the best mobile apps for your needs can be confusing. The following mobile apps were designed with the needs of professionals in mind.
- Google Apps – Google’s suite of apps includes Gmail, calendar, drive, vault, hangouts and much more. This combination of apps has made it simple for professionals to stay informed, connected, and productive regardless of location. The Google Apps portfolio creates an all-in-one solution for productivity, communication and collaboration.
- Microsoft Office Mobile – Microsoft’s mobile office solution enables professionals to complete documents, spreadsheets and presentations from any mobile device. The addition of OneNote and SharePoint features to the Microsoft mobile office platform has improved collaboration between team members on-the-go.
- Mailbox- This is an intuitive email tool that lets you quickly access and manage your Gmail and iCloud inboxes. Available for both Android and iOS, Mailbox is appreciated for its minimalist interface and smart technology that adapts based on your common actions.
- Contacts+- A beautiful address book that lets you “connect with the people you care about,” Contacts+ works by automatically syncing and importing contact information from social networks like Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Google+. It’s a useful networking tool in the professional workplace.
How to Use Mobile Apps
To maximize productivity, professionals should know how to take advantage of the many features contained in mobile productivity apps. Cultivating a solid understanding before using them to dive into work will minimize potential problems and confusion later. The following tips will help professionals maximize efficiency and streamline work flow.
- Create documents from anywhere – With Microsoft’s Office Mobile, you’re able to create business documents wherever you are. From analyzing Excel spreadsheets to reviewing reports in Word, Microsoft’s Office Mobile simplifies the process of recording, tracking and presentation preparation.
- QuickOffice with Google Apps – When using Google Apps, QuickOffice allows professionals to review and edit Microsoft Office documents from within the Google Apps platform. Documents can then be saved to Google Drive, making retrieval quick and easy.
- Gmail’s Quick Buttons – Gmail gives professionals the opportunity to respond to emails without opening them. If there’s a company meeting scheduled in Google Calendar, invitations sent to Gmail can be quickly reviewed. A response can be sent without ever opening the original email.
- Google Keep – Using Google Apps provides an easy note-taking program that promises to keep users on task. From shopping lists and work-related tasks to appointment and meeting reminders, Google Keep enhances productivity by keeping professionals informed about ongoing commitments.
- Google Calendar – A fantastic tool for professionals, Google Calendar includes robust features, such as appointment reminders and repeat scheduling, that help professionals keep track of important dates.
As mobile technology advances, professionals must stay informed about the latest tools available to enhance productivity and simplify work processes. Between Microsoft and Google, there are a range of productivity tools designed to help professionals save time and money while staying on task.
Author Bio: Drew Hendricks is a tech, social media and environmental addict. He’s written for many major publishers such as National Geographic and Technorati.