1&1 is our pick for best U.K. hosting service. It's affordable and offers advanced features, such as security options and support tools, with its hosting plans. There are three shared hosting plans, along with cloud hosting, dedicated servers and virtual server cloud host plans.
To view all of our recommendations for web hosting services, visit our Best Picks page.
We evaluated the company's three shared hosting plans. 1&1 offers free SSL certificates, backups, great customer service and an ample amount of storage with each of its plans. We found 1&1 to be a great solution for any business needing to host a website.
1&1 has three shared hosting plans. Like most hosting solutions, it offers introductory prices. After the first year, prices range from $7.99 to $14.99. 1&1 Hosting offers a 30-day, money-back guarantee that lets you test all its features without committing to an annual contract. Its prices are similar to other shared hosting plans we reviewed.
The company's basic plan includes 100GB of disk space, while the other two plans come with unlimited storage. However, as with the other services, the storage is limited. The company restricts it based on average usage rates, which you can learn more about in the terms of service. In addition to 100GB of storage, here are some of the other features with 1&1's plans:
- The basic package limits you 500 email addresses and 25 MySQL databases. This is plenty to get a website up and running. The other two packages offer unlimited email addresses and MySQL databases.
- 1&1 backs up your website daily and restores it for free should your files be lost or inadvertently deleted.
- In addition to its standard security features, like spam filtering, the service has more advanced tools to keep you and your customers safe. With the shared SSL encryption, transactions and personal information your customers share on your website are secure.
- 1&1 has secure shell (SSH) protocol and solid-state drives (SSDs). The SSH protocol allows you to access other computers through your website, which is helpful for customer service inquiries. SSD ensures faster load times and more uptime for your website.
- You'll find several app integrations for a wide selection of programs, including e-commerce solutions and WordPress.
- When you sign up, you receive a free domain name for the first year of your contract. After the first year, domain names cost $19 per year.
Besides the above features, 1&1 offers a number of resources.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card