Bitwig Studio is a relatively new digital audio workstation that aims to function as much as its own instrument as it does a full-service DAW. Bitwig provides a highly visual, intuitive user experience for musicians, DJs and small business owners to easily mix and build songs. Bitwig Studio 2, the latest generation of Bitwig Studio, comes with some new features and add-ons like VST3 plug-in support, new devices and modulators for advanced audio editing.
While this DAW has a lot of features that make it great for building and creating music, you can also use it to record and mix music. Bitwig can also link with other platforms using Ableton Link, which makes it a great option for building beats and collaborating with other musicians. For its extensive effect features and intuitive layout, Bitwig Studio earns our pick for recording studio software with the best sound effect tools.
Bitwig Studio is available for $399 and can be used on Windows, Mac and Linux. For this one-time fee, you have full access to Bitwig's sound library, sound editing tools and support. You'll also get 12 months of free upgrades, so you can stay up to date with the latest software. Beyond 12 months, however, you'll have to pay to upgrade. Based on when versions are released, you'll likely be able to upgrade to the next generation for less than full price. Bitwig Studio 1 users can upgrade to Studio 2 for only $169, for example. This kind of offering is consistent with other major DAWs.
Bitwig doesn't offer a full-scale free trial like other DAWs, but you do have the option to download a demo version, where you'll have access to all Bitwig's features except exporting and saving. Bitwig's price remains on par with industry standards for its list of features.
Bitwig Studio offers an intuitive design and a long list of features for building beats and creating music. In addition to your access to its music editing and creation features, you can connect Bitwig to other devices and music platforms using Ableton Link. This integration and partnership with another major recording studio software company provides you with a great platform that can slip right into your workflow. It also allows you to connect with other musicians and work on the same project in time and on beat.
- Ease of use. Bitwig Studio is one of the most visual DAWs we reviewed. Its screen layout is simple, intuitive and flexible, and there's an emphasis on the wave aspect of music creation. Modulators and plug-ins come with their own graphs to give you a better understanding of how your sounds are being edited and distorted.
- Sound library. This platform comes with 9GB of sounds, 2,000 presets and clips, and 11 virtual instruments. For its price, this is an extensive sound library and a great place to start with music creation.
- Plug-ins and effects. Bitwig Studio has 28 effect devices, including a newly introduced time-shifting device, and 14 modulators for audio editing. This combination of tools allows users to create almost any sounds. It also provides a good baseline to build on and edit existing music into unique songs.
- Support. Users have access to an online community, a FAQs knowledgebase, a YouTube channel with video tutorials and courses on the Bitwig software. While it offers solid support in other areas, Bitwig doesn't offer phone support for technical problems. If you can't find a solution to your problem in the knowledgebase or online community, you can fill out a query and email Bitwig with your issue.
- Bitwig doesn't offer technical support via phone.
Bitwig Studio 2 offers musicians and business owners a solid list of modulators and effect devices to edit and craft audio into entirely new projects. With its extensive sound library and editing tools, Bitwig is an ideal DAW for music and beat creation. Despite the lack of phone support, it has extensive resources online, and its email support system provides personalized help. Bitwig's connection with Ableton Link means you can supplement it with other programs. It's also among the first DAWs to offer real-time collaboration and editing on projects.