Buddy Punch is a powerful time and attendance system that is easy for both employees and administrators to use. The cloud-based system allows employees to clock in and out each day from their own workstation. The system includes a wide range of features, such as paid time off management, job codes and overtime alerts. This system also provides access controls and handles California overtime tracking to ensure accurate payroll.
View all our recommendation for time and attendance systems on our best picks page.
Pricing and Terms
Buddy Punch charges a monthly fee based on a range of employees. The costs range from as little as $29 for up to 9 employees and $49 per month for between 10 and 19 employees to as much as $139 for between 50 and 69 employees and $199 per month for between 70 and 99 employees. Specialized pricing is available for businesses with more than 100 employees. There are no set up fees.
There are no contracts with Buddy Punch and you can cancel at any time for no cost. The company offers a 30-day free trial.
Buddy Punch is a web-based time and attendance system that allows employees to clock in and out online from any web browser or mobile device using a mobile app. To clock in and out you can assign each employee a username and password, or give them a QR Code to scan using a smartphone or webcam.
Here are a few of Buddy Punch's most useful features:
- Photo authentication. This system uses a webcam to snap a photo each time an employee clocks in and out. This ensures that employees aren't punching in and out for their co-workers.
- Geotracking. The mobile app captures GPS coordinates to let employers know exactly where employees are clocking in and out from.
- Job tracking. The system includes a job tracking feature that records how long employees work on specific projects.
- Automatic break deductions and OT calculations. The system allows you to create automatic breaks for employees. With this setting enabled, breaks are automatically deducted from the employee timecard each day. Buddy Punch can also automatically calculate overtime.
- PTO management. The system can track PTO accruals and allows employees to request time off. Employers have the option of then approving the PTO, or allowing employees to add it to their time card on their own.
- Administrator access controls. The system gives administrators the option of allowing employees to correct their own time card from the employee portal, with their manager approving the final time card prior to payroll. The administrative dashboard is simple to use. The In and Out board lets you see who has punched in, who made it in late or if any requests have been sent to correct missed punches. With the use of access controls, you can decide who can access and modify employee time cards. You can give employees permission to change times but require each change to be approved by a supervisor prior to being sent out for payroll.
- System-generated reports. The system creates reports so you can easily see any concerning trends, such as consistent late or missed punches or too many time-off requests.
- Software integrations. Buddy Punch integrates with a number of programs you may already be using, including Zapier, QuickBooks, ADP, Gusto, Paychex, Paylocity, PayPlus, SurePayroll and WorkDay. Buddy Punch has a FAQs section on its webpage. It also has a knowledgebase covering a variety of employee tracking and time-management issues.
Buddy Punch doesn't work with traditional time clocks. In addition, there are no scheduling tools and the system doesn't track and calculate shift differentials.
Another potential negative is that you can't reach customer support via telephone. You have to contact the company using either the live chat tool or by email.
Editor's Note: Looking for a time and attendance system? Click the Compare Quotes button below to have our sister site Buyer Zone connect you with vendors that can help.