Switchvox by Digium is a VoIP business phone system that can be hosted in the cloud or on premises. The system is designed for businesses with at least five users. Both options include more than 80 calling, collaboration, contact center and mobile features. The system also has several built-in integrations, as well as an open API that allows you to create your own integrations. Unlike with other systems, all Switchvox users have access to every feature and tool available.
View all our recommendations for business phone systems on our best picks page.
Pricing and Terms
Pricing for Switchvox varies between the cloud-hosted and on-premises system.
The cloud-hosted system consists mainly of monthly user fees. With the cloud-hosted system, you can choose an unlimited plan (unlimited domestic calling) or a metered plan (charges for each inbound and outbound calling minute). Each plan has a range of prices that depends on the number of users you have and your contract length.
Prices for the unlimited plan with a three-year contract range from $24.99 per month, per user (50-plus users) to $28.99 per month, per user (between 5 and 19 users). If you agree to a one-year contract, the cost is $33 per month, per user, or $35 per month, per user if you want a month-to-month plan. There is also a one-time $25 set up and activation fee for month-to-month users.
Metered plan prices are $12.99 per month, per user with a three-year contract, $13.99 per month, per user with a one-year contract, and $14.99 per month, per user for a month-to-month plan. Calling minutes range from 2.3 to 3 cents each.
The on-premises system includes one-time upfront fees. The prices, however, vary depending on the type of equipment you choose. Prices start at $695 for the Switchvox appliance, $1,000 for the Switchvox software and $90 per user. That includes one year of maintenance.
Digium's IP phones range from $139 to $3239 each. For cloud users, Digium offers the option rent phones. They range from $10 to $25 per month. However, if you agree to a three-year contract, some phones are free, while others cost between $4 and $9 each.
Part of what makes Switchvox such an appealing option is that every feature the system offers is accessible to every user. Here's what you can expect from this phone system:
- Call control features: Click-to-dial, hold, transfer, call parking, intercom/paging, moving calls from one device to another.
- Call management features: Call forwarding, call cascade, Find Me/Follow Me, IVR, maintain caller ID, incoming caller notifications, outgoing caller ID control, personal call rules, send-to-voicemail rules.
- Call training features: Monitor, whisper, barge, call recording.
- Contact center features: Call queues, call routing, in-queue music and messaging, queue announcements, queue reporting, ringing strategies, remote agents.
- Voicemail options: Voice messages forwarding, custom voicemail greetings, unified messaging, voicemail-to-email, visual voicemail.
- Integrations: Switchvox integrates with a variety of popular programs, including Salesforce, Firefox, Google Maps and Chrome Dialer. The system's extended API allows organizations to build their own integrations using common programming languages such as Perl and PHP.
Switchvox has a complete conference calling service built into its phone system. With the conference bridge feature, which comes included for no extra charge, each employee can hold their own conference call with up to five callers. If your company is looking to host conference calls with more callers than this phone system provides for, you will need to use a conference calling service. These services allow for hundreds, sometimes thousands of callers on each call. You can find more information on these services on our conference call services best pick page.
- Digium's iOS and Android mobile app allows users to make and receive calls from their business line, as well as access contacts and visual voicemail.
- The systems include a variety of collaboration tools, including video and audio conferencing, screen sharing, video chats with people outside of the system, and the ability to chat with co-workers.
- For the cloud-hosted system, you need 100Kbps of bandwidth for every simultaneous, or concurrent call.
- Digium includes unlimited online faxing.
- With this phone solution, you can choose between local and toll-free numbers. Each employee receives their own direct inward dial (DID) numbers.
- Digium also offers its Asterisk solutions, which allow organizations to build their own voice, video and text applications.
- Digium is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has an A+ rating.
One drawback to Digium is the $25 activation fee for month-to-month cloud users. Many of the other providers we considered don't charge any setup or activation fees.
Another downside is that Digium does not provide users with Power over Ethernet hardware for phone connections. If you require this, you must purchase it from a third-party vendor.
Also, Switchvox services are only available in the continental United State. Alaska and Hawaii businesses cannot use this service.
Editor's Note: Looking for a business phone system? Click the Compare Quotes button below to have our sister site Buyer Zone connect you with vendors that can help.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card