iPage stands out among shared hosting services with its unlimited web hosting package and numerous website-building tools. We reviewed the company's shared web hosting plan. While the service requires you to pay a monthly fee for some features that other services include for free, like backing up your website and SSL certifications, we found that this solution offers a good selection of features for an affordable price.
To view all our recommendations for web hosting services, visit our Best Picks page.
Pricing and Plans
iPage has just one shared hosting plan, but prices vary depending on the term length. The company offers an introductory rate for new subscribers, with a $2.99/month 12-month term, a $2.49/month 24-month term or a $1.99/month 36-month term. After the promotional period, regular rates are $9.99, $8.99 and $7.99 per month, respectively.
iPage's shared hosting plan includes a free domain name for one year. After the first year, you must pay the yearly renewal fee to continue using the domain name.
iPage offers unlimited domains, subdomains, email accounts and MySQL databases. With these features, the domain host has the flexibility to grow as your business does. The plan also includes $200 of ad credits for Google and Bing, as well as "unlimited" disk space and bandwidth with its domain hosting package. This means bandwidth within the company's average usage rates. You can read more about those rates in the company's terms of service.
Here are some of iPage's other useful features:
- This provider integrates with several applications, most notably WordPress. You can use the one-click install to use the WordPress interface to create your website, or you can use other popular content management systems like Drupal and Joomla.
- The site builder also integrates with popular blog platforms, photo galleries, forums and e-commerce programs. If you plan on selling products on your website, you can install AgoraCart, OpenCart, OsCommerce or PrestaShop and accept payments through PayPal.
- iPage has a website builder that features drag and drop tools and thousands of templates.
- iPage offers add-on features that you can select when you're signing up for its services. Some come pre-selected on the sign-up form, so you need to double-check that you are paying for only the features you want before you commit.
- You can select the domain privacy add-on when you initially sign up for an additional yearly fee. This feature conceals your domain registration info, which is generally available to the public and easily found through online searches. The information includes your name, email address, mailing address and phone number.
- iPage offers an automatic site backup, which runs daily to create backups of your site in case you need to restore a version in an emergency, for an extra fee. Although you may never need site backup, the best domain hosting services often offer this feature at no charge, and it gives you peace of mind that you won't have to rebuild your website.
- If you plan on creating an e-commerce website, you'll want a SSL certificate, which secures and protects your visitors' information. iPage offers this feature for an extra fee.
If you have questions, you can reach iPage through live chat and telephone. Its website also has a knowledge base that has answers to web hosting questions.
While we didn't find any major drawbacks to using iPage, you may prefer a web hosting service that includes features like SSL certification and automatic backup in your base plan fee, rather than paying extra for them. Some businesses may also want more customized plan options, instead of iPage's one-size-fits-all approach.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card