MiniTool's Data Recovery software can recover lost files of all types – photos, music, videos, emails and documents. In our tests, it did an excellent job recovering photos and documents but faltered when recovering media in our tests. It offers excellent features for businesses as well.
View all our recommendations for data recovery software and services on our best picks page.
Pricing and Plans
MiniTool offers personal and commercial versions of its data recovery programs, available for both Mac and Windows.
Macs – MiniTool Mac Data Recovery
- Free: Recover 1MB of data for free. Tech support available by email only.
- Personal ($79): Single license for 1 Mac. One year of free upgrade service.
- Commercial ($199): Single license for 1 Mac. Free lifetime upgrade service.
- Enterprise ($399): Single license for all Macs within the same company. Free lifetime upgrade service.
- Technician ($499): Single license for Macs anywhere. Free lifetime upgrade service.
Windows – MiniTool Power Data Recovery
- Free: Recover 1GB of data for free across an unlimited number of PCs. Tech support available by email only.
- Personal: Available in Standard ($69, 1 PC, 1 year free upgrade service), Deluxe ($89, 1 PC, free lifetime upgrade service), and Ultimate ($129, 3 PCs, free lifetime upgrade service).
- Business: Available in Standard ($119, 1 PC, 1 year free upgrade service), Deluxe ($199, 1 PC, free lifetime upgrade service), Enterprise ($399, 99 PCs, free lifetime upgrade service), and Technician ($499, 299 PCs, free lifetime upgrade service).
MiniTool has one of the most user-friendly introductions to an interface we encountered. The design is modern and simple; however, the buttons in the recovery portion of the user interface weren't labeled as clearly as they are with the best software we reviewed.
This data recovery software can be used for nearly every data loss situation, including accidental deletion, raw or lost partition, virus attack, hard drive failure, OS crash, formatted drives, and more. In addition to recovering data from Macs and PCs, you can also use MiniTool to recover files, folders and data from hard disk drives, SSD cards, memory cards or sticks, USB flash drives, CDs and DVDs, and digital media.
Ease of Use and Overall Performance
We specifically tested MiniTool's Mac Data Recovery software to gauge its effectiveness. We simulated two data loss scenarios: files that existed but were lost from corruption or deletion, and those lost due to a reformatted drive. In tests for both scenarios, MiniTool Mac Data Recovery was exceptional at recovering photos and documents, averaging a 99 percent success rate across the board. Compare this to the across-the board averages of 98 percent for lost images and 85 percent for reformatted image files. Further, only four of the programs we tested had such consistently high scores.
If you depend on documents and images for your business, MiniTool Mac Data Recovery is a good choice. However, the recovery rates for media files did not impress. In our testing, it recovered only 63 percent of the files, regardless of the type of data loss. Compare this to the average of 73 percent. Like many of the programs we used, MiniTool recovered many of the songs in small fragments; we did not consider these successful recoveries.
You can find user manuals and a basic FAQs section on the company website. If you need more help, customer service reps can be reached by email or phone (for paid licenses).
MiniTool does not allow you to remotely install its data recovery software and run the program via a network. Additionally, businesses that rely heavily on media files may find this software's recovery rates troubling.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card