Motu's Digital Performer 9 is a full-scale digital audio workstation that offers a wide range of sounds and plug-ins for audio producing, recording and mixing. DP 9 is a great DAW for editing audio, as it includes a new pitch-shifting device and other audio effect tools in the platform.
DP 9 is backed by Motu, a company that offers multiple different types of devices, which means extensive support on its products. DP 9 is a versatile product that's ideal for recording, editing and producing audio professional audio projects.
Digital Performer 9 is available for $499, which, judging by its features, is more expensive compared to other DAWs of its class. Motu offers a discount if you switch to Digital Performer from a competing product. Customers can get over $100 off for switching to Digital Performer from the competitors listed on Motu's website.
While the $499 price tag is a bit expensive, Motu offers a 30-day demo where users can test out the software and see how it works in their workflow. As Digital Performer upgrades its software year to year, you'll have the option to upgrade at a discounted cost. This cost is usually around $195 for a major upgrade.
DP 9 offers some enhanced editing tools and in-depth recording and producing software. Armed with these tools, you can use DP to complete just about any audio project. Two big new features included in DP 9 are pitch-shifting and time-stretching technology.
Users can easily alter the pitch of a track by accessing the pitch layer. This feature allows you to manipulate and correct pitch on a granular level. DP 9's time-stretching technology is supported by a new algorithm for high-quality time stretching.
- Ease of use. Digital Performer offers a flexible interface for music creation. Windows can easily be resized and adjusted to fit your workflow, and different levels of your project are separated into tabs above the major timeline. DP 9 also comes with a window to monitor the performance of each virtual instrument and effect you're using on a project. This is an integrated way to view how your computer is affected by the high demands of a digital audio workstation.
- Sound library. DP 9 comes with over 90 audio and MIDI effects plug-ins as well as a host of different tools like base synths and samplers.
- Plug-ins and effects. In addition to its effect plug-in, pitch-shifting technology and time-stretching, Digital Performer provides automation lanes so a track can be broken down into each respective sound. It also integrates with VST and AU plug-ins.
- Support. DP 9 come with extensive support, including an online forum, a site-sponsored knowledge base, a YouTube channel with how-tos, and technical support via phone and email. Phone support is available from Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- It's more expensive compared to other programs.
Digital Performer 9 is a versatile software that's ideal for many different users. It has some unique features and is a strong product, but it's more expensive compared to other DAWs that can be used to the same end. While it is more expensive, it offers more support compared to other programs and can function as a great tool for producing music.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card