Tandem HR is a comprehensive HR outsourcing (HRO) company and PEO that offers a wide range of services to small businesses. It offers HR consulting, payroll support, benefits, training programs, recruiting services and workplace safety features. The company is in good standing with the Better Business Bureau, earning an A+ rating with the organization and an accreditation.
As both a PEO and HRO, Tandem HR is a flexible human resources company for small businesses. Many small businesses start with HRO services and then scale up to PEO services, which involve a separate co-employment agreement between the provider and the small business. By offering both services, it's clear Tandem HR has the bandwidth and quality to provide small businesses with valuable HR support.
View all our recommendations for HR outsourcing services on our best picks page.
Pricing and Terms
Tandem HR doesn't list any of its pricing online. Like many HRO and PEOs, Tandem HR works directly with your business to determine the best plan for you. Pricing varies by contract length and services. For all of this information, you'll have to work directly with Tandem HR to determine what contract and pricing is right for you.
Tandem HR does provide a live chat feature on its website, which can be a good avenue to ask business-specific questions regarding contract length and level of services. Many companies can provide services a la carte, allowing you to pick and choose the features that work best for your business. Especially with HR outsourcing, it's highly likely that you won't have to sign up for a bundle of services, like you'd often have to with PEOs. While bundled services make sense in some instances, the flexibility of a la carte options is ideal for very small businesses looking for HR support.
Depending on your contract, you may have to pay a monthly lump sum. This is taken either as a fee per member of your company or as a percentage of your overall payroll. Make sure you find out exactly how Tandem HR plans to bill you. If possible, request a breakdown of each bill to get a better understanding of the services you're paying for.
Keep in mind that HRO agreements will be completely different from PEO agreements. While many of the services are similar (or even identical), a PEO agreement includes a co-employment model where your employees will appear on the books of the PEO you partner with. Your employees are still fully under your control; this arrangement is more for legal and tax reasons. HRO agreements don't have the co-employment aspect. If you're working with a company that offers both services, make sure you understand the difference between the two and what they include so you can make the best decision for your business.
Tandem HR Features
With the flexibility to provide both PEO and HRO services, Tandem HR offers some impressive features for small businesses, and you'll be getting quality services from a reputable company.
- HR services: Tandem HR offers valuable HR features, including employee handbooks, job descriptions, employment verification, personnel file maintenance and new-hire onboarding. You can view a full list of its HR features here.
- Payroll: Tandem HR gives you access to payroll processing, direct deposit, federal and state tax withholdings, 1099 and W-2 filing, PTO tracking, and custom reports. You can see a full list of Tandem HR's payroll features here.
- Benefits: Tandem HR provides full-fledged benefit programs for small businesses. It offers a 401(k) plan, short- and long-term disability, COBRA benefit administration, and health, dental, vision, life, and accident insurance. You can view a full breakdown of Tandem HR's benefits here.
- Recruiting: Tandem HR's recruiting services help you find new employees who are a good fit for your company. For its exact processes and features, you'll have to talk directly with a Tandem HR representative.
- Workplace safety: Tandem HR offers several service options for workplace safety and risk management. It can provide safety audits, safety program strategy, OSHA recordkeeping, post-accident investigations, workers' compensation coverage and claim resolution. You can get started with Tandem HR's risk management services here.
Tandem HR is one of the few companies we reviewed that provides a designated account specialist when you sign up. This means when you partner with Tandem HR, you'll have a designated manager to facilitate your services. They'll handle questions, help you add or remove services, and be your point of contact for any problems you run into.
Tandem HR is also in good standing with the Better Business Bureau. As of August 2019, the company is accredited by the rating agency and earned an A+ score. It doesn't have any reviews on the website or a star rating, but it's been verified as a reputable business by the BBB. You can view its official BBB page here.
Editor's note: Looking for the right HR Outsourcing services for your business? Fill out the below questionnaire to have our vendor partners contact you about your needs.