SurePayroll is an in-depth payroll solution for small businesses. The company is backed by Paychex, which is one of the largest payroll providers in the nation. SurePayroll can handle all your payroll tax requirements and payroll processing needs. It offers an intuitive platform that's accessible from anywhere. That means your employees can view relevant payroll information, like their paystubs or year-end tax forms, at any time. In addition to payroll services, the company provides several other small business services, like retirement plans and health insurance support. SurePayroll is a good company to consider in your search for the right payroll service.
Read our reviews of other top payroll companies, see answers to frequently asked questions and review a complete vendor list on our online payroll best picks page.
SurePayroll Pricing and Terms
SurePayroll charges monthly, not per payroll. This allows you to run payroll whenever you want for the same monthly cost. SurePayroll's fees are divided into two parts: a base monthly fee and a charge for each employee on your payroll.
SurePayroll's base fee starts at $29.99 per month. In addition, you pay $4 per employee per month. There are several add-on costs you may incur. Year-end tax services cost $45, plus $4 per employee. Additionally, there is a $10 charge per state per month if you file taxes in multiple states. There is a $10 monthly fee if you file taxes in Ohio or Pennsylvania. There is also a $10 monthly cost for timeclock integration and $5 per month for accounting integration options.
There are no contracts with SurePayroll. You can cancel at any time with no penalty.
SurePayroll Services and Features
SurePayroll has everything small businesses are looking for in an online payroll service. Here is what you can expect:
- The system is cloud-hosted and accessible from any internet-connected device. In addition, you can run payroll via the SurePayroll mobile app, which is available on iOS and Android devices.
- Running payroll only takes three steps. You enter employees' hours or salaries, plus any deductions and paid time off, preview the taxes being withheld and approve payroll. Payroll needs to be run by 2 p.m. two days before payday.
- Employees can be paid by direct deposit or paper checks that you print out on your own.
- SurePayroll handles all payroll tax obligations. The service calculates, files, and pays all payroll taxes on your behalf to the proper federal, state, and local agencies. This service comes with a guarantee that it is done correctly and on time. If it isn't, SurePayroll will fix the errors and pay any fines incurred.
- SurePayroll handles all new-hire reporting. Most states require businesses to report each new hire made. This includes alerting them to the employee's name, address and Social Security number.
- Employees can log in to the system via the website or mobile app to review their paystubs and year-end tax documents.
Pros and Cons
- SurePayroll is backed by Paychex, one of the largest payroll companies in the nation.
- In addition to payroll services, this company offers other small business services like retirement plans.
- SurePayroll charges for year-end tax services. Some of the other services we reviewed roll these costs into their monthly fee.
Various other features make SurePayroll an online payroll service very small businesses should consider:
- The service allows you to easily import your payroll data into your general ledger after each pay period. Among the accounting services that work with SurePayroll are Sage, QuickBooks, Kashoo, AccountEdge, Xero, LessAccounting and Intacct.
- You receive federal and state labor law compliance tools, such as compliance posters and how-to guides, for free with the service.
- The service integrates with several time and attendance systems, including Webtimeclock, Nettime Solutions, Novatime, TimeTrex, AcroTime and Buddy Punch.
- Among the other services that SurePayroll offers are workers' compensation insurance, 401(k) retirement plans, health insurance and pre-employment screening.
- We were pleased with the customer support from SurePayroll. To test the level of service, we contacted the company multiple times by phone, posing as a customer interested in payroll services. Each time we reached out, our calls were answered by friendly and helpful representatives. They always thoroughly answered our questions. SurePayroll offers U.S.-based customer support by phone six days a week. Online help is available 24/7.
- SurePayroll is an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. As of September 2018, under 50 complaints have been filed against the company in the past three years.
One downside to SurePayroll is the extra charge for its year-end tax services. Some of the services we evaluated included those in their monthly costs.
Another potential negative for some employers is that the company won't sign and stuff paper checks for you. If you want paper checks for employees, you'll need to print them out on your own.
Editor's note: Looking for a payroll service? Click the Compare Quotes button below to have our sister site BuyerZone connect you with vendors that can help.