SurePayroll is a comprehensive payroll solution for small businesses. It handles all payroll processing and payroll tax requirements. The payroll software features an easy-to-use interface that can be accessed online from anywhere. Employees also have access to the system. Further, the company offers a range of other services, like retirement plans and health insurance, that small businesses might find valuable.
Read our reviews of other top payroll companies, see answers to online payroll frequently asked questions and review a complete vendor list on our online payroll best picks page.
SurePayroll Pricing and Terms
SurePayroll charges monthly fees, not per payroll. This allows you to run payroll whenever you want each month for the same monthly cost. SurePayroll's fees are divided into two parts. There is a base monthly fee and a charge for each employee on your payroll.
SurePayroll’s base fee starts at $29.99 per month. In addition, you pay $4 per employee, per month. There are several add-on costs you may incur. Year-end tax services cost $45, plus $4 per employee. Additionally, there is a $10 per state, per month charge if you file taxes in multiple states. There is also a $10 per month fee if you file taxes in Ohio or Pennsylvania.
There is a $10 per month cost for time clock integration and $5 per month for accounting integration options.
There are no contracts with SurePayroll. You can cancel at any time with no penalty.
SurePayroll Services and Features
SurePayroll has everything small businesses are looking for in an online payroll service. Here is what you can expect:
- The system is cloud-hosted and can be accessed from any internet-connected device. In addition, payroll can be run via the SurePayroll mobile app, which is available on iOS and Android devices.
- Running payroll can be completed in three steps. You enter employees' hours or salaries, plus any deductions and paid time off, preview the taxes being withheld and approve payroll. Payroll needs to be run by 2 p.m. two days before payday.
- Employees can be paid by direct deposit or paper checks that you print out on your own.
- SurePayroll handles all payroll tax obligations. The service calculates, files, and pays all payroll taxes on your behalf to the proper federal, state, and local agencies. This service comes with a guarantee that it is done correctly and on time. If it isn't, SurePayroll will fix the errors and pay any fines that are incurred.
- SurePayroll handles all new hire reporting. Most states require businesses to report each new hire made. This includes alerting them to the employee’s name, address and Social Security number.
- Employees can log into the system via the website or mobile app to review their pay stubs and year-end tax documents.
There are a number of other features that make SurePayroll an online payroll service very small businesses should consider.
- The service allows you to easily import your payroll data into your general ledger after each pay period. Among the accounting services that work with SurePayroll are Sage, QuickBooks, Kashoo, AccountEdge, Xero, LessAccounting and Intacct.
- All users are provided federal and state labor law compliance tools, such as compliance posters and how-to guides, for free.
- The service integrates with several time and attendance systems, including Webtimeclock, Nettime Solutions, Novatime, TimeTrex, AcroTime and Buddy Punch.
- Among the other services that SurePayroll offers are workers' compensation insurance, 401(k) retirement plans, health insurance and pre-employment screening.
- We were pleased with customer support provided by SurePayroll. To test the level of service, we contacted the company multiple times by phone posing as a customer interested in payroll services. Each time we reached out, our calls were answered by friendly and helpful representatives. They always thoroughly answered our questions. SurePayroll offers U.S.-based customer support by phone six days a week. Online help is available 24/7.
- SurePayroll is an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating. As of September 2018, there have been less than 50 complaints filed against the company in the past three years.
One downside to SurePayroll is there is an extra charge for its year-end tax services. Some of the services we evaluated included those in their monthly costs.
Another potential negative for some employers is that the company won't sign and stuff paper checks for you. If you want paper checks for employees, you'll need to print them out on your own.
Editor's note: Looking for a payroll service? Click the Compare Quotes button below to have our sister site Buyer Zone connect you with vendors that can help.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card