Xero is the best small business accounting software for Mac because it's cloud-based and accessible from any computer or device with a browser, so Mac users experience no loss of features or usability. Its mobile app is also well suited for Mac users, as it works on the iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch. Xero's plans allow you to invite an unlimited number of users to the software, making it an affordable option for businesses with multiple users. It integrates with more than 700 applications, so you can connect to the business programs you already use or add features to customize the program to meet your business's needs.
Visit our best picks page to see all of our recommendations for small business accounting software.
Xero is a good value for small businesses because all of its plans include nearly every feature – including estimates, accounts payable and inventory management tools, which are frequently only available in top-tier plans. There are, however, three features that are only available in the top tier: expenses, multicurrency support and project tracking. Each plan supports an unlimited number of users, which is a plus, as many of its competitors base their pricing on the number of users you add to your plan.
Xero offers a 30-day free trial, so you and your employees can try out the software before you buy it, and if you don't want to take the time to import your own data, a demo company is available for you to use. Here's more on Xero's subscription plans:
- The Early plan costs $9 per month and limits you to five invoices, five bills and 20 bank transactions per month.
- The Growing plan costs $30 and supports unlimited invoices, bills and bank transactions.
- The Established plan costs $60 per month and also supports unlimited invoices, bills and bank transactions. This is the only plan that includes expenses and projects and can handle multiple currencies.
Xero's plans don't include payroll services anymore. Instead, you can add Gusto to your plan, with monthly pricing starting at $39 plus $6 per person.
Ease of Use
It's easy to set up an account with Xero. It gives you several starting tasks to acquaint you with the program, such as connecting your business bank account, adding a customer and creating your first invoice. Many of the pages have how-to videos and link to a step-by-step guide in case you need additional help. The interface is well designed and easy to navigate. Features are easy to access from the dropdown menus across the top of the screen or from the cards on the dashboard.
The interactive dashboard shows you graphs and charts for key information such as invoices due, bills you need to pay and a history of your bank account balance, with a button telling you how many items you need to reconcile. The information is displayed on movable cards that allow you to arrange the dashboard to your liking. The cards also have quick buttons for tasks like creating an invoice or a new bill.
Xero saves you time by streamlining processes and giving you the tools to accomplish financial tasks faster. Here are some of the ways Xero makes accounting less tedious.
- You can email invoices directly from the software, and Xero integrates with PayPal, Stripe, Square and other payment processors so you can also accept payments online.
- You can convert a quote to an invoice with a few clicks.
- Invoices have drag-and-drop lines that make it easy to reorder items on an invoice.
- You can schedule recurring invoices (here called repeating invoices) by setting the send date, frequency and end date, saving you the time it would take to manually generate and send them.
- Automatic payment reminders encourage customers to pay on time, letting you avoid following up with them on outstanding invoices manually. You can set the software to send them either before the payment is due or when it's past due. You can also set up the system to email your customers receipts after you receive and record payments.
- You can attach files to invoices, such as a document or a photo of the work you completed.
Inventory Tracking and Purchase Ordering
As you create quotes and invoices, you can see how many of each item you have in stock, and if you enter more than this number, it alerts you with a red pop-up box. If you need to reorder inventory, you can use the software to create and send purchase orders. You can then convert the purchase order to bills for payment or invoices for your customers. For complex inventory needs, such as if you stock more than 4,000 items, advanced inventory integrations are available through the App Marketplace.
This feature simplifies the reconciliation process by matching bank transactions with those you've entered into the software. It uses machine learning and can predict more matches the more you use this feature. It also has bank rules and cash-coding features to make the reconciliation process easier and faster.
The Xero Accounting & Invoices mobile app allows you to accomplish accounting tasks on the go. With the iPhone and iPad versions of the app, you can view your cash flow, access customer and vendor contacts, reconcile transactions, and create invoices. The iWatch app allows you to see your account balances and the number of new transactions you have. The Xero Expenses and Xero Projects apps, which are included with the Established plan, allow you to capture photos of expenses, submit expense reports, track time, and attach billable expenses and time to projects.
You can see a complete list of features on the company's website. If Xero lacks a feature you need, or if you want to connect it to the other business systems and services you already use, you can probably find an add-on in its App Marketplace, as it offers more than 700 integrations. Here are a few notable features that Xero offers.
- The software can run more than 50 different reports, including profit and loss, aged receivables, and a general ledger. Many reports are customizable, allowing you to change titles, rearrange columns, show a chart, set a date range and apply filters. In addition to printing reports, you can archive them or export them as PDF, Excel or Google Sheets files.
- The History & Notes activity report at the bottom of every transaction screen lets you monitor information about the document, such as if the invoice was copied from a quote, who created and approved the invoice, and when. If you've sent an automatic payment reminder for the invoice, the date, time and email address it was sent also appear on this screen. You can add notes such as the expected payment date.
- Xero can track bills, including recurring bills. You can also copy bills and edit them instead of creating new ones from scratch.
- You can manage both customers and suppliers and organize them into groups. In addition to contact details, profiles display activity history, such as how many invoices are open and average remittance time. You can add email correspondence to profiles by connecting to Gmail.
- You can manage fixed assets and print checks in Xero.
Xero connects to your bank and credit card accounts and imports data daily. It protects your data with bank-grade encryption, and you can opt in to two-factor authentication to make your login more secure. If you add employees to your account, you can set user permissions to control the data they can access.
You can contact the company for support via email or live chat (phone support is not available). We used the live chat feature during our testing to ask multiple questions, and the agent we chatted with was prompt and helpful. If an issue can't be resolved over email or chat, a customer support agent may call you. Online support resources include a knowledgebase with step-by-step instructions and videos, a blog, podcasts, small business guides, and training courses.
Xero is the best small business accounting software for Mac that we reviewed. It's well designed and easy to use, with a full selection of accounting features, making it suitable for most small businesses. It also integrates with more than 700 apps, letting you further customize the software to fit your business's accounting needs. Even so, there are some factors to consider before you select this accounting software for your business.
- The Early plan is very limited, as it allows only five invoices, quotes and bills, and 20 bank transactions per month. Even very small businesses will likely need to subscribe to the Growing plan. Also, expenses are no longer included with the midlevel plan, so if you need that capability, you'll either need to subscribe to the top tier or connect to a third-party integration.
- Invoice customization isn't as intuitive as it is in competing programs that have templates you can tweak. Within the program, you can create and edit "branding themes" by adding your logo, changing the font, setting margins, toggling fields on and off, and renaming labels, but if you want to make aesthetic changes like colors or borders, you need Word to do it.
- Most accountants aren't as familiar with Xero as they are with QuickBooks, so if you work with an outsourced accounting firm, it may need to export your data into QuickBooks. If you haven't yet selected an accountant, you can find one who is comfortable with the software by searching Xero's database of accountants.
Editor's Note: Looking for accounting software for your business? Click the Compare Quotes button below to have our sister site Buyer Zone connect you with vendors that can help.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card