ADP offers payroll services for businesses of all sizes. While the size of your business will determine the platform you use, each offers the same core payroll services, including the ability to run payroll online, over the phone or via mobile app. They all calculate, file, deposit and reconcile your payroll taxes; come with a tax payment guarantee that no errors will be made; and provide employees with year-end tax forms.
View all our recommendations for payroll services on our best picks page.
Pricing and Terms
ADP offers customized pricing for each company. The pricing varies by the number of employees you have, the service plan you select and how often you run payroll each month. The prices we were quoted were for a business that has about 25 employees, uses the Enhanced Payroll plan and processes payroll twice a month. Costs were about $65 per payroll, plus $2.20 per employee.
There are no contacts with ADP. The first two months of service are free.
For businesses with fewer than 50 employees, ADP offers three different service plans: Essential Payroll, Enhanced Payroll and Complete Payroll + HR. All three plans include all payroll processing and payroll tax services.
- The Essential plan allows you to run payroll online, by phone or mobile app, and pay employees via direct deposit or paper checks delivered to your office. The plan also includes new-hire reporting and access to over 15 different payroll-related reports. ADP calculates, files, and pays all payroll taxes on your behalf and provides year-end W-2 and 1099 forms for your employees.
- The Enhanced plan includes everything in the Essential plan, plus the option to have ADP sign and stuff paper checks for you and to pay employees via prepaid debit cards. The plan also includes labor law poster compliance services, state unemployment insurance and garnishment payment services.
- In addition to everything in the Essential plan, the Complete plan includes a wide array of HR services, such as access to the employee handbook wizard, job posting and applicant tracking, five background checks per year, HR forms and documents, and HR training and toolkits. The plan also gives businesses phone and email access to a dedicated support team of HR professionals who can answer any other HR-related questions you may have.
Time and Attendance
ADP has an extensive time and attendance system that can operate on the same platform as ADP's payroll system. All time and attendance data instantly syncs with your payroll service.
The system allows employees to clock in and out with time clocks, web browsers, telephones and mobile apps. It also shows when employees are nearing overtime and if there are any unplanned absences. For managers, the system highlights time card exceptions so they know instantly which cards need their attention before they can be approved. ADP's time and attendance also manages all paid time off by tracking accruals and allowing employees to request vacation and sick days.
ADP's system offers robust scheduling tools, as well as performance and productivity tools that can be used to monitor progress on specific projects and track the time each employee spends on specific projects during their workday. Through the administrative portal, you can run a variety of reports, including those that show punch histories based on filters you choose. [View more recommendations for time and attendance systems.]
There are a number of other aspects that make ADP such a popular payroll service.
- All of the service plans allow employee access. Employees can log in to the system to view their paystubs and year-end tax forms.
- The system allows users to export journal entries from ADP into QuickBooks, Xero, Creative Solutions or a generic output file without manually inputting the data.
- When ADP first sets up your account, it also creates email reminders as you need them. You can set reminders to run payroll each period. The reminders can also alert you to a bank change at the company level or to any security-related changes to your account. You have the option of setting up different reminders for each user.
- Live support is available 24/7.
One drawback with ADP is that it charges per pay run. This can increase your costs, depending on how often you run your payroll. Some of the online payroll services we looked into have a flat fee for unlimited payroll runs each month.
Another potential negative is that you don't have a dedicated support agent to help with any issues that arise. While the sales associate we spoke to said we could always contact her with any questions, it would be nice to have a dedicated support agent be our first point of contact.
As of March 2018, more than 200 complaints have been filed against the company with the Better Business Bureau. Despite the complaints, however, ADP is an accredited member of the BBB with an A+ rating.
Editor's Note: Looking for a payroll service? Click the Compare Quotes button below to have our sister site Buyer Zone connect you with vendors that can help.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card