Clover Credit Card Processing Review
Clover is a one-stop shop for a small business's customer checkout needs, offering point-of-sale (POS) software and hardware as well as credit card processing. With Clover, you don't have to shop for different vendors to get top-of-the-line POS software and hardware and competitive credit card processing rates, making it our pick for the best POS credit card processor.
Clover Credit Card Processing
|PCI Compliance Fee||8.0/10|
|Early Termination Fee||8.0/10|
Credit card processing is just one aspect of running a business, whether it's a physical storefront or an online shop. You also need a POS system to accept payments, manage inventory and run reports. You get all of those capabilities and more when you work with Clover.
Clover gives you fast credit card and digital payment processing, plus access to POS software and hardware that enable you to accept online orders, complete curbside transactions, go mobile, and support gift cards and loyalty programs. You don't need to shop around for separate vendors for your POS and credit card processing needs.
Clover offers two pricing plans for its POS system and credit card processing, giving you some choice and flexibility. You are charged a per-transaction rate to process credit card payments and can access the POS software for as little as $9.95 a month.
We also like how your business can grow with Clover. The company doesn't charge per employee, which means everyone on your team can access the software for no additional cost.
Clover Credit Card Processing Rates and Terms
The pricing for Clover's credit card processing depends on the POS software package you choose. This POS and credit card processor has many options for businesses of all sizes. We like that Clover charges a flat rate for credit card processing, because it takes a lot of the surprise out of the costs to accept credit card sales. However, the flat rate might not benefit companies that process high volumes of credit card sales each month; in that case, you want a vendor that gives you a discounted rate based on volume.
Clover has two software plans for its POS systems and credit card processing. Register Lite is the entry-level plan that gives you access to several POS features. The Register plan has more extensive features for inventory, employee and customer management, and reporting.
- Register Lite costs $9.95 a month after a free 30-day trial. The transaction fee is 2.7%, plus 10 cents for in-person purchases, and 3.5%, plus 10 cents for payments taken virtually or entered by hand. You get round-the-clock support by telephone, live chat and email. Register Lite customers can set employee permissions, track sales, run reports and access the Clover App Market.
- Register costs $39.95 per month and has more advanced capabilities. The transaction fee is 2.3%, plus 10 cents for in-person purchases, and 3.5%, plus 10 cents for online and keyed-in purchases. This plan has everything in the Register Lite plan, plus inventory management, customer loyalty tools and advanced reporting. Clover also has functions geared specifically toward restaurants and retailers, including the ability to send orders to the kitchen, manage tables, connect a weight scale, exchange items and track the profitability of individual products. You might need specific Clover hardware to use some of these features.
Clover's virtual terminal lets you accept and process credit card payments without any hardware. You can accept credit and debit card payments from your Clover web dashboard, while end-to-end encryption ensures transactions are secure and PCI compliant. Through the dashboard, you can also send invoices and receipts and store customers' card information to speed up checkout.
Clover charges monthly. To cancel, you have to send the company written notice 30 days before your monthly payment date.
Clover has the features of both a POS system and a credit card processor, making it appealing to small businesses that want a one-stop shop for their customer-facing operations. Here's a look at some of the features you get when using Clover's POS software and credit card processing solutions:
- Reporting: With Clover's POS software, you can run reports on different aspects of sales. You can track sales, view the best- and worst-performing products, and manage inventory and staffing based on data collected at checkout. Clover also integrates with QuickBooks and Xero.
- Payments: Clover's POS software and hardware enable you to swipe credit card payments, accept EMV chip cards and support contactless payments. Clover also has online ordering for curbside or in-person pickup.
- Customer management: With Clover, you can manage your customers and build loyalty with customized deals and programs. Through the company's customer engagement platform, you can solicit feedback from customers. You can also use the software to create customer profiles, send birthday rewards and email personalized offers.
- Gift cards: Clover lets you offer physical and digital gift cards, with more than 70 design templates to choose from. You can also create your own custom gift card.
- E-commerce: Clover provides customers with e-commerce tools to build a website, synchronize orders, and manage inventory and customer data. Through the Clover dashboard, businesses can sell products and accept online payments, create menus and allow customers to book appointments. Clover's partnerships with e-commerce platforms BigCommerce and Ecwid give businesses with existing websites more reach. Clover also integrates with marketplaces such as Instagram, Facebook, Amazon, Etsy and eBay.
Merchant Cash Advance
You can get a merchant cash advance through Clover Capital. Clover will advance you cash and take a percentage of your credit card and debit card sales each day until the advance is paid back. (There are fees you'll need to consider before taking the advance.)
Clover claims that most deposits will appear in your bank account the next day. Its Rapid Deposit service enables you to get the money from your credit card sales in minutes instead of the standard one or two days; Clover charges a 1% fee for this feature. We like that Clover allows credit card transactions to be processed in seconds and that you can set up tax rates once for all transactions and they will be applied automatically to the sales, which is a real time-saver. You can also accept payments on the go, with or without Wi-Fi; Clover has a feature that lets you process offline sales once you reconnect to the internet.
Clover doesn't have an online application; rather, you click a button to chat with a sales rep in your area now or schedule an appointment to speak later. There's a handy online calendar that lets you schedule a time for the call. Alternatively, you can call the sales department directly. The initial sales call takes about 30 minutes. The Clover sales rep will go over your business's needs to determine the best solution for you.
Clover gives you both a robust POS system and credit card processing, but that combined solution doesn't appeal to all small business owners. If you already have a POS system, you might not want to switch to Clover's just so you can use the company as your credit card processor – and you must have Clover's POS hardware to use its service.
Although Clover lists some of its pricing online, you have to contact a sales rep to get all the details, and the lack of an online application might give some small businesses pause. The need to contact a sales rep for both of these steps might slow down your research process. Before you sign up with this credit card processor, make sure you discuss all the possible fees and terms with your local sales rep.
Clover provides customer support by phone or email 24/7. The company also has live help available on its website and POS devices. We like that Clover offers fraud protection on up to $100,000, which shows the company has confidence in its behind-the-scenes security.