Paychex is a full-featured payroll service that handles not only all your company's payroll processing and payroll tax obligations, but a host of other tasks as well. The service, which can serve businesses of all sizes, is available in four different service plans. The cloud-based platform, which allows employee self-service, is easy to use and makes managing payroll a simple process.
Paychex's payroll service is available in four different service plans: Express Payroll, Paychex Flex Select, Paychex Flex Pro and Paychex Flex Enterprise. The plans vary in the number of services included. You can see how the plans vary on the Paychex website.
Paychex offers a number of different services and features:
- You can process payroll in just a few easy steps. All you have to do is enter your payroll information (salaries, hours worked and pay rates), confirm that the data is correct and submit the payroll for processing. Rather than running payroll manually each pay period, you can also set up recurring amounts for faster processing.
- You can pay your employees by direct deposit, check or paycard. If your employees choose to be paid by check, Paychex prints the checks and mails them to you, or you can print your own checks onsite.
- Paychex handles all your payroll tax compliance issues. The service calculates, files, and pays your payroll taxes on time and ensures they are accurate. You don't have to worry about errors, because Paychex backs up its services with an accuracy guarantee. The guarantee states that if there are any mistakes in your payroll taxes, Paychex pays the penalties. The service also processes year-end W-2 and 1099 forms for your employees.
- Paychex provides employers with more than 160 payroll-related reports.
- Some of Paychex's payroll plans include new-hire reporting, general ledger service to link your payroll information to your accounting software, state unemployment insurance, workers' compensation reports and employee onboarding tools.
Part of what makes Paychex so appealing, especially to larger organizations, is its additional services that are all accessible from the Paychex Flex platform.
- These services include a time and attendance system; HR services, such as benefits administration, compliance services and records administration; PEO services; employee benefits, such as individual and group health insurance and retirement plans; and startup services, such as incorporation and online marketing services.
- All payroll plans include access to an employee financial wellness program designed to help employees meet their financial goals. · Some of the plans include background screening services for new hires.
- Paychex offers 24/7 customer support and provides each user with a dedicated support representative who serves as their first point of contact anytime an issue arises.
The biggest drawback we encountered with Paychex was customer support. When we called the company posing as a business owner interested in payroll services, the representative we spoke with refused to give us any details about the system and its cost over the phone. He said that, in order for him to fully explain the system and give more information on pricing, we would have to meet in person. Even when we explained that we were just looking into payroll systems and wanted to see how Paychex compared to its competitors in pricing, the representative said he couldn't even provide us with an estimate.
Additionally, even though we said we were only focused on payroll services at this time, the representative kept trying to sell us on the other services Paychex offers. So while the representative peppered us with questions, he wasn't able to answer any of the questions we had for him, which was disappointing.
We were also disappointed to see that, as of March 2018, more than 200 complaints had been filed against the company with the Better Business Bureau. Despite the complaints, however, Paychex is an accredited member of the BBB with an A+ rating.
Editor's Note: Looking for a payroll service? Click the Compare Quotes button below to have our sister site Buyer Zone connect you with vendors that can help.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card