Intuit's online payroll is available in three service plans, allowing businesses with a variety of budget points to use the service. Depending on your plan, Intuit can just process your payroll or take care of all your payroll processing and payroll tax needs. There is also a combo package that includes both payroll and QuickBooks Online accounting software. All packages allow unlimited payroll runs each month and are managed on an easy-to-use online platform.
Pricing and Terms
Intuit offers three service plans – Basic, Enhanced and Full Service – that differ in services and prices. For each plan there is a monthly base fee, plus $2 per employee. Prices for the Basic plan start at $20 per month. After six months, the base fee increases to $25 per month. The enhanced plan is $31.20 for the first six months, and $39 per month after that. The Full Service plan has at $79 base fee for the first six months. After the first six months, the base fee increases to $99 per month. Combo packages that include payroll and QuickBooks run from $37 to $144 per month, plus $2 per employee.
You have the option of paying month to month or signing a one-year contract. Basic and Enhanced users who pay for a year in advance receive 7.5 percent monthly discount. There is no annual discount for Full Service users. Intuit offers all users a 30-day free trial.
All of Inuit's service plans include unlimited payroll runs each month and the option to pay employees via direct deposit or paper check. With paper checks, you are responsible for printing them out on your own and delivering them to your employees. All three plans integrate with QuickBooks Online. Here is how the plans differ:
- The Basic plan only includes payroll processing. Intuit doesn't handle any tax responsibilities on this plan.
- The Enhanced plan includes payroll processing and some payroll tax obligations. With this plan, Intuit calculates all federal and state payroll taxes for you, but you are responsible for making all tax payments. The service automatically fills in all the federal and most state payroll tax forms for you and provides the option of electronically paying these taxes. This plan also allows you to print out year-end tax forms for employees.
- The Full Service plan handles all payroll and payroll tax responsibilities. It calculates, files and pays all of your payroll taxes for you. It also provides a tax guarantee that all your payroll taxes will be paid on time and accurately. If any mistakes are made, Intuit corrects them and pays any incurred fines. Intuit sets up the service for you by inputting all employee information into the online platform. It also processes and prints year-end tax forms.
Ease of Use
Intuit is a cloud-hosted system that doesn't require any special software. It is accessible anywhere with an internet connection.
- The online platform is simple to understand. All of the sections are clearly labeled and easily accessible.
- You can run payroll in three steps. First, you enter the hours each employee worked, as well as any vacation or overtime hours. Salaried employees' pay rates are already saved in the system. The second step is to review the payroll to ensure everything looks accurate. If it is, the final step is to run the payroll. You will receive confirmation that the payroll is processing. Direct deposits are then made two days later.
- Employees have the ability to log in to the system to review their paystubs, see their accrued paid time off and access year-end tax forms.
These are some of the other features that make Intuit a top payroll system for small businesses:
- It offers a slew of payroll reports, such as payroll summaries and details, as well as reports for tax payments and liabilities.
- The QuickBooks Online integration can be a real timesaver. The two services can seamlessly transfer data to one another, so you never have to manually enter data into both programs.
- Intuit provides excellent customer support. Every time we contacted the company, a friendly and helpful representative was available to answer all of our questions. Additionally, Intuit's payroll support pages contain many useful resources where you can find answers to questions without calling the support line. There are training topics online as well as a user community where Intuit clients interact and help each other solve problems.
Intuit doesn't offer all the add-on services that some of its competitors do, such as human resources guidance and employee benefit plans. Also, as of February 2018, more than 1,400 complaints had been filed against Intuit with the Better Business Bureau. However, not all of the complaints were in regard to Intuit's payroll services. Despite the complaints, the BBB gives Intuit an A+ rating.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card