QuickBooks is the most widely used accounting solution available, and it’s one of the best accounting software options for small business owners. But the company does charge a relatively high monthly fee, and it doesn’t offer the best customer support.
Many small businesses outgrow the tools that QuickBooks provides. When this happens, you’ll need a QuickBooks alternative that works with your budget and accounting needs.
This article will break down 10 of the best QuickBooks alternatives to consider when you’re ready to switch software.
Editor’s note: Looking for the right accounting software for your business? Fill out the below questionnaire to have our vendor partners contact you about your needs.
What is QuickBooks?
QuickBooks is one of the most popular small business accounting software solutions available today. Its popularity is largely due to its introductory package and basic yet well-designed inventory management tools. There are online and desktop versions of the QuickBooks software.
QuickBooks allows business owners to manage invoices, pay bills, track cash flow and, most importantly, generate financial records and prepare for quarterly and annual taxes.
In addition to all these features, QuickBooks offers several account types and payment plans. Anyone can try QuickBooks for free for 30 days, making it a great option for new business owners.
What are the pros and cons of QuickBooks?
You may eventually need to switch from QuickBooks to another accounting software. But it helps to know exactly where QuickBooks excels and falls short of its competitors.
- It’s very easy to use and learn, which makes it a great choice for small business owners without a dedicated accounting department.
- It integrates with many other systems and third-party applications.
- It offers a free 30-day trial and affordable prices at the lower tiers of service.
- You can create accounting reports in it.
- It’s easy to access across all devices.
- It’s easy to look up and review customer information in the software.
- It can become pricey if you need to use the full range of features.
- It doesn’t have many industry-specific features, like barcode scanning, lot tracking or e-commerce tools.
- There’s no real professional support.
- A limited number of users can access the software simultaneously.
- It experiences some instability and system crashes.
- There are no invoice design tools.
- Accounting data is not always backed up, so it could be lost.
Tip: Check out our full QuickBooks review to learn more about the accounting software.
10 alternatives to QuickBooks
There are many reasons you may need to consider a QuickBooks alternative at some point. Fortunately, plenty are available, most with a variety of features and functions.
|FreshBooks||Excellent customer service, over 70 integrations with third-party apps, double-entry accounting, time-tracking tools||Starts at $15 per month|
|Wave||E-commerce checkout tools, Etsy integration, intuitive and streamlined user interface||Free|
|Xero||Mobile apps for both iOS and Android, tons of great features for accounting and invoicing, international invoicing||$12 to $65 per month|
|Patriot Accounting||Some tax assistance, accounts receivable, aging tracking, bank reconciliation, billing, and invoicing||$15 to $25 per month|
|Zoho Books||Tax support and bank reconciliation tools, contact management, accounts payable, and estimate tools that help you bill customers accurately||Free to $60 per month|
|Oracle NetSuite||Cloud-based platform, CRM features, enterprise resource planning, customizable workflows, and project management tools||Starts at $999 per month|
|GoDaddy Bookkeeping||Invoicing tools and management features, simple time-tracking capabilities, integration with major shopping platforms, mobile access for all users||$4.99 to $14.99 per month|
|Sage Business Cloud Accounting||Cloud-based platform, tax assistance and management tools, fee calculation and posting, fraud detection capabilities||$10 to $25 per month|
|ZarMoney||CPA filing tools for certified accountants in your organization, tax assistance, bank reconciliation tools, check processing and writing, ACH payment processing||$15 to $350 per month|
|Kashoo||Tax management and assistance, invoicing, bills management, report generation, account, and contact tracking||Free to $30 per month|
Tip: Not sure which software to pick? Check out our reviews of the best accounting software for 2023.
FreshBooks is a good choice if you’re a small business owner looking for cloud-based accounting software. It’s one of QuickBooks’ main competitors and our pick for the best invoicing software.
FreshBooks offers extra features like software integrations, time-tracking tools, and contract management functions, and it recently added double-entry accounting to its software suite. Your employees can access the software from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.
FreshBooks is a holistic replacement for QuickBooks, offering a more versatile feature set and a much better pricing plan, especially for new account holders.
Key features of FreshBooks
- Excellent customer service
- Over 70 integrations with third-party apps
- Good mobile app interface
- Double-entry accounting
- Time-tracking, contact management, and reports management tools
- Good invoicing options and flexibility
- Excellent spread of accounting tools
- Lite: $15 per month
- Plus: $30 per month
- Premium: $55 per month
- Select: Custom pricing
Tip: Check out our full FreshBooks review to learn more about the software.
2. Wave Accounting
Wave Accounting is completely free, making it great for small business owners on a tight budget. But you will need to pay if you want to take advantage of its extra tools, like credit card payment processing and payroll features.
Even if you don’t upgrade, Wave is very easy to use. In addition to its intuitive interface, it provides accounting tools, invoicing tools, e-commerce checkout, and dedicated Etsy integration.
However, Wave is not the best choice if you need project management solutions, time tracking, and third-party integrations.
Key features of Wave Accounting
- E-commerce checkout tools
- Accounting tool suite
- Etsy integration
- Intuitive and streamlined user interface
- Accounting support materials and tutorials
- Optional credit card payment software upgrade
- Optional payroll software upgrade
Wave Accounting pricing
- Accounting and invoicing software: Free
- Credit card processing upgrade: 2.9% plus 30 cents per transaction (3.4% for American Express)
- Payroll upgrade: $35 per month in tax service states ($20 in self-service states) plus $6 per employee or contractor
Tip: If you aren’t sold, take a look at some alternatives to Wave Accounting.
Xero is a New Zealand-based company with nearly 1 million subscribers. The software is designed for small businesses, but it has extra features that make it more versatile.
All of Xero’s controls and tools are accessible from an intuitive dashboard. These include inventory management, invoicing, payroll software, and billing functions.
Xero offers a mobile app for iOS and Android as well as a desktop app, so you can access the software across all of your devices. Also, you’ll get a discount if you sign up for a six-month plan.
Key features of Xero
- Mobile and desktop apps
- Many accounting and invoicing features
- International invoicing
- Payroll software and billing functions
- Intuitive dashboard to control all of your tools
- Tax calculation software
- Early: $12 per month
- Growing: $34 per month
- Established: $65 per month
Tip: Learn more in our full review of Xero.
4. Patriot Accounting
Patriot Accounting is a well-developed software suite. Its plans start at $15 per month, and it offers a free trial.
Patriot’s features include 1099 preparation, CPA firm support, bank reconciliation, billing and invoicing tools, and invoice processing and management. You can even customize your invoices and handle your invoicing entirely online.
Patriot Accounting is an excellent choice for midsize businesses that need affordable accounting software with a wide variety of features.
Key features of Patriot Accounting
- Some tax assistance
- Accounts receivable
- Aging tracking
- Bank reconciliation
- Billing and invoicing
- Invoice customization
- Check writing
- Cash management
- Expense tracking
Patriot Accounting pricing
- Accounting Basic: $15 per month
- Premium Accounting: $25 per month
5. Zoho Books
Zoho Books is the accounting software in the Zoho customer relationship management (CRM) suite. If you purchase Zoho CRM, it automatically integrates with Zoho Books, though you have to pay for both software solutions separately.
Zoho Books offers many of the same features as QuickBooks, but at a much more affordable price. Businesses on a tight accounting budget may find everything they need with this software solution.
Some of its best features are its invoicing tools, which allow you to bill your clients all around the world. It also provides accounts payable, time-tracking, bank reconciliation, and estimate tools.
Key features of Zoho Books
- Tax support and bank reconciliation tools
- Contact management, accounts payable, and estimates tools
- Report and invoice production
- Time-tracking tools
- Good customer support through live chat, email, and more
- Recording for charts of accounts
Zoho Books pricing
- Free: $0
- Standard: $15 per organization per month
- Professional: $40 per organization per month
- Premium: $60 per organization per month
Tip: Check out our review of Zoho Books to learn more about the software.
6. Oracle NetSuite
Oracle NetSuite is cloud-based accounting software that’s a great option for enterprise companies. It offers robust planning tools, reporting features, and customizable process workflows.
All of these features are available on its intuitive dashboards. Multiple people can access the software at once, which is a function QuickBooks lacks. But Oracle NetSuite is expensive, so it’s better for companies with a large accounting budget.
Key features of Oracle NetSuite
- Cloud-based software
- CRM features
- Enterprise resource planning
- Customizable workflows and project management tools
- Report generation
- Ledger controls for financial planning
- Multiple customizable dashboards
- Simultaneous user access
Oracle NetSuite pricing
- Custom, but typically charges a $999 monthly licensing fee
- Additional per-user cost (typically around $99 per month)
FYI: Our full review of Oracle NetSuite has more details on the software.
7. GoDaddy Bookkeeping
GoDaddy Bookkeeping is an inexpensive accounting service. The software comes with mobile access, making it easy for your accountant to update the books on the go. It also includes time-tracking software, quarterly tax assistance, and live support.
The software integrates directly with platforms like Amazon, eBay, PayPal, and Etsy. That means GoDaddy could be a good choice if your business needs to accept customer payments.
However, GoDaddy lacks in features compared to other accounting software and is best used as an introductory accounting solution. Once your business starts growing, you’ll likely need to switch over to a service with more tools.
Key features of GoDaddy Bookkeeping
- Invoicing tools and management features
- Simple time-tracking tools
- Integrations with major shopping platforms
- Mobile access
- Quarterly tax assistance tools
- Live chat support
GoDaddy Bookkeeping pricing
- Get Paid: $4.99 per month
- Essentials: $9.99 per month
- Premium: $14.99 per month
8. Sage Business Cloud Accounting
Sage Business Cloud Accounting is accounting software as a service that’s perfect for midsize businesses. It includes features like fee calculation, fraud detection, project management software, and invoice tracking.
However, Sage is one of the more expensive accounting options available. The cost will depend on how many users you add to your account, so the price can escalate quickly for large companies.
Key features of Sage Business Cloud Accounting
- Cloud-based software
- Tax assistance and management tools
- Fee calculation and posting
- Fraud detection
- Project management, team assignment, and report generation tools
- Invoice tracking and exemptions
Sage Business Cloud Accounting pricing
- Sage Accounting Start: $10 per month
- Sage Accounting: $25 per month (currently $7.50 per month for the first six months)
Tip: Learn more in our complete review of Sage Business Cloud Accounting.
ZarMoney is one of the best accounting solutions, and you can test out the software for free before committing. It’s also a very affordable solution with an impressive suite of tools.
The features include account-tracking tools, bank reconciliation, account management and tax assistance. It also supports ACH payment processing, so you can accept payments and instantly sync those payments with your accounting spreadsheets.
ZarMoney may be a good choice for new accountants or small businesses. It comes with a variety of tutorials and webinars that can help you understand smart accounting practices.
Key features of ZarMoney
- CPA filing tools for certified accountants in your organization
- Tax assistance
- Bank reconciliation tools
- Check processing and writing, plus ACH payment processing
- Billing and invoicing
- Cash management tools
- Contact database management
- Entrepreneur: $15 per month
- Small Business: $20 per month
- Enterprise: $350 per month
If you’re a sole proprietor, Kashoo could be the perfect accounting software for your needs. It’s very easy to set it up and add tax details, and the interface is easy to navigate.
You can manage and process transactions, manage invoices, set up bills to pay, and organize your contacts and accounts – all from a single dashboard. Kashoo also provides tax assistance and can generate reports to help you understand your business’s financial situation.
Key features of Kashoo
- Tax management and assistance
- Bills management
- Report generation
- Account and contact tracking
- TrulySmall Invoices: Starts at $0 per month
- TrulySmall Accounting: $20 per month
- Kashoo: $30 per month
When should you look for new accounting software?
When you first start your small business, QuickBooks will probably meet all of your accounting needs. After all, it provides invoicing and basic accounting functions that let you track your expenses and income as well as prepare for taxes.
However, you may eventually need more robust accounting software. You’ll know it’s time to switch when:
- Multiple people need to be able to access the software simultaneously.
- You need project management, content management system, or other software solutions in addition to accounting tools.
- You need more complex or in-depth accounting tools.
- You want accounting software that provides excellent customer service.
The bottom line on QuickBooks alternatives
If you’re new to accounting software, QuickBooks is a great place to start. It’s relatively inexpensive in the beginning, and it provides the basic functionality business owners need. But at some point, you may outgrow QuickBooks and need more features and tools.
All the software packages we’ve outlined in this article are excellent QuickBooks alternatives. Figure out which features are most important to your business, do your research, and find the solution that’s best for you.