Photo compression can be done using photo editing software in just a few steps
Compressing photos saves space on your computer and makes them easier to email or post on the web because the photos will take up less memory. Photo compression can be done using photo editing software in just a few steps. Photo compression can also be done using word processing software such as Microsoft Word. Here are the steps to compressing photos using either type of software.
Compressing Photos Using Image Editing Software
- Open the photo you want to compress in your photo editing software.
- Go to the file menu in your photo editing software and choose "Save As" or "Save."
- Click on the "Options" button in the pop-up menu.
- Select the "High Compression" option in the photo compression section of the menu.
- Select "Lossless Encoding" in the encryption section. This will help to save the integrity of the photo.
- Select the "OK" button.
- Select the "Save" button. Your computer will compress the photo and save it.
- If you are saving the photo as a JPEG, you may lose quality, so the photo needs to be protected while compressing. Saving your photo in a format other than JPEG, such as TIF, PNG, GIF, or BMP, will help prevent quality loss.
If you are afraid of messing up the original photo, always use the "Save As" option to create a compressed version that is separate from the original.
Compressing Photos Using Microsoft Word
- Open Microsoft Word and open a new Word document.
Click on the "Insert" tab on the top left side of the screen.
- Choose the picture icon from the list of choices.
- A list of files on your computer will pop up. Select the picture file you want to compress by double-clicking on it. The picture will be added to your document.
- Click on the picture and then go back up to the "Insert" tab and choose "Compress Pictures" from the menu.
- A pop-up screen will ask, "Apply Compression Settings Now?" Either click on the "OK" button to accept the pre-determined settings or choose the "Options" button. Here you can choose the quality of the photo compression by ticking the boxes beside the options you want and then press the "OK" button.
- Save your document and the photo will become compressed.
If you just want the photo to appear in the document without a lot of white space around it, then you will need to change the size of your document to the size of your photo or as close to the same size as you can get. Here's how:
- Choose the "Page Layout" tab that is found at the top of the Microsoft Word screen.
- Click on the "Size" icon.
- Select your custom paper size.
- Save your document.
- Photo compression is easy and can be done with software that you already have. Using these steps even new computer users will be able to perform photo compression with ease.