To determine our best picks for medical billing services, we created a list of roughly 30 reputable companies, based on other reviews and customer feedback. From there, we eliminated vendors that had higher than average pricing, restrictive contract requirements, or failed to respond to initial requests for additional information.
That left us with a list of 10 finalists, from which we chose our three best picks. Those finalists included: AdvancedMD, athenahealth, CareCloud, Chart Logic, Clinical Info Solutions, drchrono, Human Medical Billing, Iris Medical, NueMD and Talisman Solutions.
To determine our best picks, we considered the following criteria between our 10 finalists:
- Pricing: How did the service's pricing compare to others in our review, and was the company up front about how their pricing model works and what is included?
- Additional fees: Are there additional fees on top of the base pricing? Did the company explain these fees in a forthcoming manner?
- Contract requirements: What is the minimum contract requirement? Is there an opportunity to cancel early for no fee if service is not meeting expectations?
- Claims process: What does the claims process look like, and what services does the company include in its pricing? Are there certified coders on staff? Will staff follow up on outdated or denied claims?
- Specialties: What specialties does the service commonly work with, and will it tailor its process to the needs of the practice given its specialty?
- First pass rate: How many claims are generally accepted by payers on the first pass, and how many require resubmission or follow ups?
- Support: What kind of support team can a practice expect from the service? Are there dedicated account managers that act as one-to-one liaisons for any and all questions?
- Reporting: What kind of financial reporting can a practice expect and how often? Are reports customizable? Are they available on demand?
- Customer service: Were customer service and sales representatives friendly, knowledgable, and up front about the specifics of the service? Were they able to answer all our questions? Was contacting the correct representatives straightforward? Was there a long wait time for assistance?