Often geographically dispersed and managing hundreds of employees, large companies rely on software to ensure that their teams productive and that sensitive data is secure. Enterprise-level companies are particularly at risk of data breaches that compromise proprietary information or malicious attacks on their networks. Often these attacks are the result of internal misuse. Teramind is a comprehensive employee monitoring software platform that covers all the core features we looked for and then some. In addition to its powerful employee monitoring applications, Teramind offers a data loss prevention package designed to secure a company's network and data. It also offers audit and forensics tools to investigate any incidents that do occur. Best of all, Teramind offers enterprise implementation assistance for on-premises or private cloud deployments.
See all of our reviews and recommendations for employee monitoring software on our best picks page.
Teramind offers three different pricing plans, and each is available in either a cloud-based or on-premises deployment. These range from plans suitable to small and midsize companies to comprehensive enterprise solutions. The largest plan, Teramind DLP, includes useful data loss prevention tools that protect sensitive information, as well as compliance with some of the strictest privacy regulations.
- Teramind Starter: This plan includes access to features like screen recording, live view, website monitoring, application tracking and remote control. It also offers limited access to user behavior analytics and policy management tools.
- Starter Cloud-based pricing: A minimum of five users is required for Teramind's cloud-based deployment. Teramind Starter costs $60 per month for five users, with two months free if you opt for annual billing.
- Starter On-premise pricing: Teramind requires a minimum of 10 endpoints for its on-premise deployment option, to which terminal servers can also be added. Teramind Starter costs $60 per month for 10 endpoints. Each terminal server adds $180 per month to the cost. Two months are included for free when you opt for annual billing.
- Teramind UAM: Teramind's user activity monitoring plan builds on the starter plan by adding additional features like email and file transfer monitoring, keystroke logging, printing monitoring and optical character recognition (OCR) to automatically analyze on-screen content. It also improves upon the behavior analytics tools by adding dynamic risk scoring to help admins identify the riskiest users on the network, as well as anomaly detection, which could tip off admins to malicious or problematic activity. Finally, the Teramind UAM plan also includes additional policy templates and auditing tools to help enforce rules.
- UAM Cloud-based pricing: A minimum of five users is required for Teramind's cloud-based deployment. Teramind UAM costs $125 per month for five users, with two months free if you opt for annual billing.
- UAM On-premise pricing: Teramind requires a minimum of 10 endpoints for its on-premise deployment option, to which terminal servers can also be added. Teramind UAM costs $125 per month for 10 endpoints. Each terminal server adds $375 per month to the cost. Two months are included for free when you opt for annual billing.
- Teramind DLP: Teramind DLP comes with all the employee monitoring features offered in the UAM plan, plus a suite of data loss prevention tools that can help secure your network and the sensitive information stored on any connected devices. The Teramind DLP package is compliant with regulations, including those related to HIPAA and GDPR.
- DLP Cloud-based pricing: A minimum of five users is required for Teramind's cloud-based deployment. Teramind DLP costs $150 per month for five users, with two months free if you opt for annual billing.
- DLP On-premise pricing: Teramind requires a minimum of 10 endpoints for its on-premise deployment option, to which terminal servers can also be added. Teramind DLP costs $150 per month for 10 endpoints. Each terminal server adds $450 per month to the cost. Two months are included for free when you opt for annual billing.
To determine the exact cost of Teramind for your company based on the number of devices you wish to monitor and any terminal servers you want to add, use the pricing tool available on Teramind's website.
Teramind has all the critical features we looked for in employee monitoring software and then some. Each tool is easily accessible from a central dashboard, and the dashboard displays which users are currently active, their current activity, the total time they've worked and their active/inactive time. A sidebar to the left of the screen displays categories of features.
The activity monitoring suite includes tools that allow you to monitor specific employee activities in real time and archive your observations for later review. Teramind displays all the devices and users on the system. Both are easily filtered and searchable so you can find specific users or alert types. Every action is timestamped and dated.
Here's more about what you can monitor using Teramind.
- Webpages and applications: Teramind reports the software applications a user launched as well as the specific webpages they accessed. The software also records a video segment that administrators can view, which shows the user accessing the program or webpage. In addition, a helpful bar graph is included, which you'll find on top of the page, that lists the most frequently accessed applications and websites. Teramind also informs admins whether an employee is being productive or unproductive with their use of a particular software app or webpage.
- Instant messaging: If you're concerned that employees are spending too much time messaging friends, Teramind will not only monitor all live chats across Facebook, Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp and Slack, but it will capture the content of those chats as well as the date and time the chat occurred and who participated in it.
- Emails: With Teramind, admins can see all incoming and outgoing emails, including the content of each email and attachments. Each instance is timestamped.
- Searches: The search tool shows each online and offline search an employee conducted on their device.
- File transfers: If an employee transfers any local files or web files, or transfers work files to a removable device, such as a USB drive, you'll know about it. Each instance is timestamped and tagged with a video recording the transfer process.
- Keystrokes: Teramind's software includes a keystroke logger that records everything a user types and where that activity occurred.
- Printed document tracking: Admins can see each printer request a user initiates. In addition to a record of each request, admins can access a scanned copy of the printed document.
- Snapshots: Every 10 minutes, a snapshot is captured of the user's screen. This can be useful for admins in determining whether an employee has used thier time wisely or not. These screenshots are saved in the employee's profile and admins can review each file as a 10-minute video.
Teramind allows you to set certain behavioral rules for the software and will automatically flag or block prohibited behavior. The behavior rules engine comes with dozens of templates to help admins create policies that govern user activity. If none of the templates meet your needs, you can create your own policies.
Rules can also be put in place to block certain activities. For example, if you don't want users sending emails outside of your workplace's dedicated email application, you can tailor a rule that blocks multiple personal email addresses, such as Gmail, Yahoo or other email clients. In addition, you can block websites and social media platforms or prohibit employees from transferring files to removable devices like a USB drive.
Reporting and Risk Analysis
As part of its software, Teramind offers in-depth reporting that gives you a clear understanding of your employees' work habits. Teramind's color-coded graphs report on all violations during a specific time period. Teramind's charts also break down the violations by department so you can see the most egregious offenders at a glance.
If you set a risk level when establishing behavioral rules and policies, one report notifies you just how much risk your users are creating for your organization. This tool is especially useful for businesses in sensitive industries, like a medical practice operating under HIPAA privacy constraints, for example.
Ease of Use
Despite its comprehensive slate of features and uses, Teramind is relatively straightforward to install and use. To start, admins must first download the Teramind agent on each computer they wish to monitor. Agents can be run in stealth or freelance mode, depending on whether you want employees to know they are being monitored. Once agents are installed, the software will begin monitoring usage and sending data back to the administrator's central dashboard.
The user interface is built around this dashboard, which can be customized to suit your preferences. The default dashboard displays data collected from monitored devices, including security metrics, productivity metrics and users that are currently online.
On the left side of the dashboard are a series of tabs, which you use to navigate the major categories of Teramind. From top to bottom these read: dashboards, monitoring, risk, productivity, behavior, employees, computers, configure and system. Here's a quick look at what each major tab governs:
- Monitoring: The monitoring tab includes all the employee monitoring features like web and application monitoring, keystroke logging, and email monitoring. Each feature displays an overview of monitored devices and is sortable by types of operations, employees, departments and specific computers.
- Risk: The risk tool displays any rule or policy violations, sortable by date, tag or violation type. It also shows a breakdown of the riskiest users, rules and objects on your network.
- Productivity: The productivity tab provides an overview of user activity across the network, as well as a breakdown of each user's active time. Not only does it help admins see who is using their time effectively, but it can also be used as a time management tool to ensure employees aren't working unapproved overtime.
- Behavior: The behavior tool displays policies, notifications of violations and anomaly rules. Admins can use these tools to create new policies, such as "notify admin when user uploads a file to a host outside our domain."
- Employees: The employees tab simply shows a breakdown of all the employees monitored by Teramind. It also lists their department, their last login time and location. Employee info can be exported to Microsoft Excel or saved as a PDF.
- Computers: The computers tab displays all the devices you are actively monitoring. If any device is not currently being monitored, such as one in freelance mode, that will be displayed also. The list of devices is fully searchable and can be exported to Microsoft Excel or saved as a PDF.
- Configure: The configure tab gives admins the ability to delineate departments, projects and schedules, as well as govern access control across the platform.
- System: The system tab includes a list of missing users or devices, as well as a system log that tracks all activity in Teramind by employee, action, object type and object name.
Teramind Customer Support
Teramind's software-as-a-service (SaaS) pricing model includes tech support and software updates in the subscription price. When you purchase any Teramind plan, the support team is available to offer implementation assistance. In addition to accessing FAQs and other resources on Teramind's website, you can reach the support team via phone, email and live chat. The company does not list the hours that the support team is available, but when we reached out to the company, they informed us that support is available 24/7/365.
Teramind is an impressive employee monitoring software solution, but the software doesn't allow you to monitor company-owned mobile devices. It is designed solely for desktops and servers. While you won't be able to monitor employee mobile devices, Teramind allows admins to use their mobile device to monitor any PCs that have the monitoring software installed on them.