Employee monitoring software should serve multiple purposes simultaneously, including tracking the websites and applications an employee accesses, monitoring file transfers and gauging productivity. Perhaps most importantly, you'll want the option to run the software in a stealth mode, so you can be sure you're monitoring employees' true behavior. Teramind offers all these features and more in a highly effective and intuitive package that anyone can quickly learn and use. It also offers an option of either a cloud-based or on-premises deployment. Because of its ease of use, thorough monitoring features, and flexible deployment options, we selected Teramind as the best overall employee monitoring solution. Teramind requires a minimum of five users, but on a per-license basis, its pricing is competitive with that of other leading employee monitoring programs we evaluated.
See all our reviews and recommendations for employee monitoring software on our best picks page.
Teramind requires a minimum of five users as part of its pricing package. There are two plans to choose from: Teramind UAM and Teramind DLP. Teramind UAM's pricing starts at $175 per month for five users. (Teramind DLP's pricing starts at $250 per month for five users.)
The UAM plan breaks down to $35 per month, per license, which is slightly more expensive than the other employee monitoring applications we evaluated. However, Teramind is extremely comprehensive, so you're getting a complete solution for your money. Moreover, if you purchase a significant number of additional licenses, you might be entitled to a discounted per license rate.
To see how much it would cost you to obtain licensure for all users on your team, Teramind has a pricing tool you can use to determine your base monthly estimate.
Teramind has all the critical features we looked for in employee monitoring software and then some. Each tool is easily accessible from a central dashboard, which displays which users are currently active, their current activity, the total time they've worked and their active/inactive time. A sidebar to the left of the screen displays each category of features.
The activity monitoring suite includes tools that allow you to monitor specific employee activities in real time and archive your observations for later review. Teramind displays all the devices and users on the system. Both are easily filtered and searchable so you can find specific users or alert types. Every action is timestamped and dated.
Here's more about what you can monitor using Teramind.
- Webpages and applications: Teramind reports the software applications that were launched as well as the specific webpages a user accesses. The software also records and includes a video segment that administrators can view, which shows the user accessing the program or webpage. In addition, a helpful bar graph is included, which you'll find on top of the page, that lists the most frequently accessed applications and websites. Teramind also informs admins whether an employee is being productive or unproductive with their use of a particular software app or webpage.
- Instant messaging: If you're concerned that employees are spending too much time messaging friends, Teramind will not only monitor all live chats across Facebook, Skype, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp and Slack, but it will capture the content of those chats as well as the date and time the chat occurred and who participated in it.
- Emails: With Teramind, admins can see all incoming and outgoing emails, including the content of each email and attachments. Each instance is timestamped.
- Searches: The search tool shows each search an employee conducted on their device, including online and offline searches.
- File transfers: If an employee transfers any files, including local files, web files, as well as transferring work files to a removable device, such as a USB drive, you'll know about it. Each instance is timestamped and tagged with a video recording the transfer process.
- Keystrokes: Teramind's software includes a keystroke logger that records everything a user types and where that activity occurred.
- Printed document tracking: Admins can see each document print request a user initiates. In addition to a record of each request, admins can access a scanned copy of the printed document.
- Snapshots: Every 10 minutes, a snapshot is captured of the user's screen and can be useful for admins in determining whether an employee has used his or her time wisely or not. These screenshots are saved in the employee's profile and for more detail, admins can review each file as a 10-minute video.
Teramind allows you to set certain behavioral rules for the software and will automatically flag or block prohibited behavior. The behavior rules engine comes with dozens of templates to help admins create policies that govern user activity. If the template you need doesn't exist, you can create your own policies.
Rules can also be put in place to block certain activities. For example, if you don't want users sending emails outside of your workplace's dedicated email application, you can tailor a rule that blocks multiple personal email addresses, such as Gmail, Yahoo or other email clients. In addition, you can block websites and social media platforms as well as prohibit employees from transferring files to removable devices like a USB drive.
Reporting and Risk Analysis
As part of its software, Teramind offers in-depth reporting that gives you a clear understanding of your employees' work habits. Teramind's color-coded graphs report on all violations according to a specific time period. Teramind's charts also break down the violations by department so you can see the most egregious offenders at a glance.
If you set a risk level when establishing behavioral rules and policies, one report notifies you just how much risk your users are putting your organization at. This tool is especially useful for businesses in sensitive industries, like a medical practice operating under HIPAA privacy constraints, for example.
Stealth and freelance modes
There are two modes you can choose to operate Teramind in: stealth or freelance. In stealth mode, Teramind runs silently in the background. Users are unaware they are being monitored. In freelance mode, Teramind is visible to the user and is only engaged when the employee is on the clock.
You might be wondering why a freelancer would voluntarily allow monitoring? It's simple: Teramind has paired a time tracker with the monitoring software. The time tracker is how your contract workers get paid, and it cannot be activated separately from the monitoring tools.
In addition to FAQs and other resources on Teramind's website, the support team is reachable via phone, email and live chat. The company does not list the hours that the support team is available, but when we reached out to the company, they informed us that support is available 24/7/365.
Teramind is an impressive employee monitoring software solution, but for companies that purchase mobile devices for its employees, the software doesn't allow you to monitor those devices. It is designed solely for desktops and servers. While you won't be able to monitor employee mobile devices, Teramind allows admins to use their mobile device to monitor any PCs that have the monitoring software installed on them.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card