SentryPC is easily navigable employee monitoring software with a wide variety of tools that allow you to monitor, manage and archive your employees' activities in real time. It is a cloud-based solution that shows all employee activity at once, and it's easily searchable to avoid overwhelming you with a flood of information. SentryPC is somewhat limited in scope compared to other leading employee monitoring software, but it is highly usable and effective for its price. For these reasons, it is our best pick for employee monitoring software for very small businesses.
See all our reviews and recommendations for employee monitoring software on our best picks page.
Pricing for SentryPC is based on a licensing system. Each device you need to monitor requires a license. Each license provides access to the full functionality of the software for that specific device.
- Basic plan: One license, up to 500 screenshots. $59.95 per year and $19.95 per year for each additional license.
- Business 50: 50 licenses, up to 500 screenshots. $995 per year and $19.90 per year for each additional license.
- Business 100: 100 licenses, up to 1,000 screenshots. $1,595 per year and $15.95 per year for each additional license.
- Business 250: 250 licenses, up to 1,000 screenshots. $2,995 per year and $11.98 per year for each additional license.
- Business 500: 500 licenses, up to 2,000 screenshots. $3,995 per year and $7.99 per year for each additional license.
- Business 1,000: 1,000 licenses, up to 2,000 screenshots. $4,995 per year and $4.99 per year for each additional license.
One of the most crucial aspects of SentryPC's activity monitoring function is the real-time activity alerts. If a user attempts to access a blocked activity or violates policies as outlined in the administrative settings, the action is flagged and logged in the central admin dashboard, alerting admins by email. Any alert logs can be viewed and sorted by user, device, type, activity or timestamp.
All SentryPC activity monitoring tools allow you to search by user and are downloadable so you can save records for later reference. The screen itself resembles a typical email inbox and lists all relevant activity by all users, clearly displaying the username and computer, as well as the type of activity and a timestamp. The details displayed vary by tool. These tools include the following:
- Applications: This tab shows which applications a user launched and at what time. It allows you to monitor which software the employee uses frequently and determine whether it has to do with work.
- Chats: This tool shows you any chats the user has engaged in, along with a timestamp, the sender, the messenger applications used and a transcript of the conversation.
- Clipboards: This allows you to see a timestamp of when a user copies any material to the Windows clipboard and pull up the copied text.
- Events: The events tool tracks a user's specific actions and compiles them into a simple overview. Data captured by other tools appears here in what is essentially a timeline of user activity.
- Files: SentryPC grants administrators full visibility into the files stored on any monitored device. It also tracks events such as downloads, uploads, newly created files, opened files and edited files.
- Keystrokes: A keystroke logger is useful for seeing anything and everything a user does on their keyboard. For example, if a user enters the search query "new dress shoes" in Google, admins can see this not only in the web activity tracker, but also in the keystroke logger, which identifies the date, time and location a user typed the query.
- Locations (IP): SentryPC tracks each device's IP address and determines the geographic location from which a user connects to the internet, so you'll always know exactly where your employees are and when.
- Portable drives: SentryPC tracks and timestamps any portable drives that are inserted into a monitored device.
- Print jobs: SentryPC can also track and timestamp print jobs. When a user sends a file to print, SentryPC logs the complete pathway.
- Screenshots: SentryPC supports the storage of up to 500 screenshots of user activity, which are taken at random intervals during an employee's work time. Each screenshot includes the date and time and is searchable by user or device.
- Sessions: SentryPC tracks active and inactive time from session to session. Admins can see a breakdown of active and inactive time for every session, making it clear which users are engaged and productive. Every session breakdown is timestamped and dated.
- Websites: SentryPC tracks all webpage activity by a user on a monitored device, recording the websites visited, how long they were open, the amount of time a user was engaged with each website, and the date and time they were accessed.
- Windows: The Windows activity monitoring tool shows any new windows a user opens. This data is sortable by user, device, timestamp and window title.
Content-filtering tools allow administrators to limit which applications and websites employees can access and when. With SentryPC, content filtering takes just a few clicks and can be set by hours and days. So, if your employee uses their device for other purposes but you want to ensure they don't do so during work hours, you can easily tailor the parameters accordingly.
The same method can be used to monitor for particular keywords or phrases by assigning those terms to a specific user. You can tailor the system to either alert the user when a blocked keyword or phrase has been entered, or merely instruct SentryPC to log it in the activity monitoring module. Website filtering works in much the same way and allows administrators to filter websites by broad categories, as well as by specific URLs.
Reporting and Management
The reporting tools are a strong suit for SentryPC, offering admins several ways to view all the data captured by the activity monitoring tools. Reports include the most frequent alerts triggered by users, so you can see which violations are most common amongst your employees. More specific reports include the top used applications or chat tools. Admins also have the option to review device status reports, which show the current status of every monitored device, so you can quickly identify if any significant changes have been made or threats have been detected. Finally, the chart creator allows you to create visualizations of the data logged for each tool.
Management features include a time-management tool that allows admins to set maximum work hours on a daily and weekly basis, alerting users when they're approaching their maximum time. You can also set an alert period: For example, you can create an automatic alert for 15 minutes before an employee hits their time cap. You can configure each user differently, which is especially useful for managing freelancer budgets.
Confirmation Mode vs. Silent Mode
When you install SentryPC, you can keep it in confirmation mode, which shows users they're being monitored. This transparent mode is a good choice if you have contractors or freelancers who will only be tracked or monitored while they work on your projects. For in-house employees, you can run the program on silent mode.
The software has an integrated support section, which includes documentation that can help you install the program, troubleshoot or learn more about how the software works. These methods are suitable for immediate issues and troubleshooting that you can solve yourself, but for more serious technical issues that require the assistance of the company's support team, SentryPC maintains a ticket system. Unfortunately, there is no live chat or phone support.
SentryPC's major limitation is its tech support. While the company provides a great deal of documentation and how-to guides, your company is mostly on its own to figure out the finer points. If tech support is urgently needed, it can be difficult to contact the company and get an immediate response.
How Does Your Business Stack Up? Get a Free Business Report Card!Get My Report Card