Insperity PEO provides employee benefits administration, payroll processing, risk management resources, and human resource consulting, but where it excels is in employee training and HR outsourcing. Insperity has a five-employee minimum, competitive pricing and a contract structure that can scale with your business. Insperity is our pick as the best PEO for small businesses due to its extensive training resources and flexible services.
Pricing and Terms
Insperity's pricing and terms make it an ideal choice for small businesses looking to outsource the logistical headaches that come with running an expanding business. Insperity charges on a per-employee basis. Some PEOs charge businesses a gross percentage of total payroll. While the percentage of payroll option could be more cost-effective for your business, your fee fluctuates as your business's payroll totals change. With a per-employee pricing structure, your costs are somewhat more predictable.
Insperity doesn't require long-term contracts. A standard contract for a business with less than 150 employees is typically one year, but you can cancel with 30 days' notice. Although you must have a minimum of five employees to qualify for Insperity's PEO services, you may be able to work around this minimum (with approval) if you meet specific criteria.
Insperity PEO provides bundled solutions. These bundles can be tailored somewhat to your business; for example, you can add employment screening, expense management, insurance services, performance management, recruiting services and retirement services for additional fees.
If you want individual HR services without the co-employment model, there is Insperity's Workforce Acceleration program. This option still requires you to enroll in Insperity's payroll service, but every other service is offered a la carte (e.g., accounting, recruiting, insurance, 401(k), retirement services, etc.)
Insperity PEO Features
Insperity offers stellar training resources and solid offerings in all the major PEO service areas. With Insperity, you and your team have access to a comprehensive suite of HR functions, including the following:
- HR Services: Insperity offers robust HR management services. Your company gets help with recruitment, onboarding, online training, employee handbook and policy development, performance management, termination and dispute assistance, and leadership development.
- Employee Benefits: Insperity provides standard benefits packages, including medical, vision, dental coverage, short-term and long-term disability, a comprehensive 401(k), health and flexible saving account options, life insurance and employee assistance programs. Employees can use Insperity's self-service online portal to modify employee benefits as needed.
- Payroll and Taxes: This PEO provides standard payroll processing software, which includes time and attendance tracking, paid time-off accrual, vacation and sick time tracking, W-2 preparation, wage garnishments and deduction administration, employment verification, and payroll management reports.
- Risk and Compliance: Insperity can assist with claims management, return-to-work programs, workers' compensation, government compliance, workplace safety training, policy development and training, employee screenings, employment practices liability insurance, termination and unemployment claims assistance, drug-free workplace policy development, and EEOC services.
- Training and Development. Insperity excels with its training resources. When your business partners with Insperity, you get access to 5,000+ self-paced online courses, 30,000 online books on human resources topics, and other educational materials. Users can access instructor-led virtual training, and CPE and PDU for select courses. In addition to the online courses, your designated HR services team works with you to provide other training topics for you and your workforce, and it can conduct onsite training. This flexibility provides a lot of potential for small businesses that need training resources or that want to help their employees grow.
Insperity HR Outsourcing Services
Besides its PEO services, Insperity offers individual HR services and consultancies through Workforce Acceleration. Make sure, however, that you address the details of the agreement and how it would shift from a standard PEO bundle with the company. For instance, PEOs come with a co-employment agreement as part of the bundle. Signing up for individual HR services, though, nullifies the co-employment arrangement. This aspect of service is not good or bad either way; it just depends on what's best for your business.
To use Insperity's a la cart HR services, you will still be required to enroll in Insperity's payroll service. Here are some, but not all, of the HR services Insperity offers:
- Recruiting services
- Employee onboarding
- Insurance services
- HR consulting
- Retirement and 401(k) services
- Accounting and bookkeeping services
- Time and attendance
- Applicant tracking
- Performance management
- Job sourcing services
- Group health insurance services
- Benefits administration
- COBRA and fringe benefits
- ACA compliance and reporting
- HR policy development
- Manager training
- Compensation plan development
Insperity's breadth of services is one of the largest of the companies we reviewed.
Pros of Insperity
The biggest advantage for small businesses partnering with Insperity is the wealth of training and resources they get access to. This allows small businesses to stay up to date with important training and regulations. It can also be used for employee development and professional growth. Having access to these learning opportunities can be a great selling point for growing businesses that need to recruit new employees.
Another advantage of Insperity is its intuitive online platform. Business owners and employees can log into their Insperity portal to access and modify important information like time and attendance, time-off requests, compensation, 401(k) contributions, HSA and FSA information, training courses and more. This is a great way for small businesses to keep all of their HR functions in one location.
Cons of Insperity
Insperity requires a small business to have a minimum of five employees to qualify for its services. Keep in mind that this is a standard minimum requirement among many PEOs, and Insperity may be able to make exceptions (with approval) to those businesses that qualify. If you do not meet the five-employee minimum, you can either speak to a representative to learn more about how to meet the exceptions for that or consider another HR service.
Insperity provides a dedicated service team for its small business clients. This includes defined experts in each service area, like HR management, payroll, performance, recruitment, safety and benefits. Insperity also sets you up with a point person to facilitate your services and connect you to various experts depending on your needs. For general PEO information, you can access several resources on its website, including Insperity's blog, checklists, demos, e-books and webinars.
We tested Insperity's customer service by calling as a hypothetical small business owner interested in partnering with a PEO. We interacted with Insperity through email, webchat and phone. The sales representatives we interacted with took the time to assess our business's needs and determine what service would be best suited for our business. They didn't try to push a sale. This is a testament to the level of care and consideration Insperity provides to its customers.
Editor's note: Need a PEO service for your business? Fill out the below questionnaire to have our vendor partners contact you with free information.